The North Carolina 1:1 Learning Technology Initiative
The NC 1:1 Learning Technology Initiative is a public-private partnership in which high schools across North Carolina take a strategic approach to creating a digital transformation in their schools.
- A laptop computer for every student and teacher (provided by SAS and Golden LEAF).
- Broadband connectivity to the school (provided by the North Carolina School Connectivity Program).
- SAS® Curriculum Pathways® online resources, available at no cost to all US educators and their students. (View press release).
- The Friday Institute for Educational Innovation provided professional development.
Final Outcome--Replication Materials:
- The Framework for Planning a Digital Transformation is now available at Epic Ed. This national online community of practice offers a collaborative place where all educators can interact with others who are in the process of digital transformation. Planning guides, implementation plans, rubrics, needs assessments, etc. are available at no cost for any school or district wishing to replicate this program or launch a digital transformation in their school or district. All materials were developed as part of the NC Learning Technology Initiative.
- The North Carolina General Assembly provided funds for wireless Internet access throughout the schools, professional development and site-based staff for instructional support.
- The Friday Institute at North Carolina State University provided the evaluation.
- See evaluations and critical issue papers.
Videos: Students and Teachers Tell Their Story
- Learning in Action at North Carolina middle and high schools (filmed by staff at the Friday Institute).