Government Tax and Revenue
Improving audit success by as much as 50 percent
Revenue agencies are under increasing pressure to reduce fraud and non-compliance, increase revenues and maintain service levels – all while managing the impact of legislative changes. At municipal, state or federal levels, stronger audit and collection capabilities are essential for closing the tax gap.
" [The data warehouse] has helped us with strategic planning and bringing the right financial resources to the long-term operations of the organization. It's also been great to see our IT staff and our business users working so harmoniously together."
— Roger Ervin
Secretary of Revenue, State of Wisconsin Department of Revenue
How SAS® Can Help
SAS tax and revenue solutions can bring dramatic improvements by better identifying where to focus resources and how to take the appropriate action to produce desired results. Greatly improve results and increase productivity by applying advanced analytics to your audit and collections processes with:
- SAS for Government Tax Audits uses sophisticated modeling and intelligent self-learning techniques to identify tax returns with a high likelihood of underreporting and a high probability of successful collection. In preliminary audit tests, SAS Analytics with scoring improved audit success by as much as 20 percent to 50 percent, compared to legacy, rules-based approaches.
- SAS for Government Tax Collections uses multi-stage scoring to identify and prioritize cases in which additional taxes are due, then pairs each case with the most effective collections tactics, based on the case profile.
How SAS® Is Different
Until recently, revenue departments relied largely on rules-based systems to target returns for audit. More sophisticated revenue departments are starting to augment their rules-based systems with scores generated by analytical modeling. When it comes to analytics, SAS is the leader. With SAS solutions for tax and revenue, you can:
- Integrate internal and external data to create an analysis-ready data repository allowing for agencywide intelligence.
- Deliver a combination of analytically derived scores that pinpoint and prioritize exactly where audit and collections efforts will be most effective.
- Use analytic scoring to optimize the collections process – prioritizing returns for initial action and then rescoring them as events change.
- Develop and maintain all elements of the solution and the foundation platform, so you do not have to worry about the integration issues common with proprietary niche solutions.
Related Products and Solutions
- SAS® for Government Tax Audits
- SAS® for Government Tax Collections
- SAS® Enterprise Financial Crimes Framework
SAS® for Government Tax Audits
SAS for Government Tax Audits applies powerful analytic techniques to accurately screen all tax filings and rank them by the likelihood of underreporting, magnitude of revenue to be collected and expected cost per audit. With these insights, auditors can focus on the most valuable cases to minimize lost tax revenue.
SAS® for Government Tax Collections
SAS for Government Tax Collections prioritizes collections cases and identifies the best tactics to use based on likelihood of payment, cost and policy – not just on balance due. By identifying such cases – and the best actions to take for each case – SAS provides a positive, immediate impact on revenue collections.
SAS® Enterprise Financial Crimes Framework
Banks, insurance companies, health care organizations and government entities are all seeing an increase in the incidence and sophistication of fraud, waste and abuse activities, fueled in large measure by the financial turmoil gripping the world's economy. To fight fraud effectively, organizations must continually improve the monitoring of customer behavior across multiple accounts and systems. SAS Enterprise Financial Crimes Framework provides a technology infrastructure that integrates fraud detection, alert management, network analysis and case management – giving organizations the upper hand in detecting fraud in any form, at any touch point.
Ready to learn more?
Call us at 1-800-727-0025 (US and Canada) or request more information.