The SAS Advanced Analytics Lab for State and Local Government
Partnering with state and local government agencies to deliver timely and cost-effective solutions to improve government services
The SAS Advanced Analytics Lab for State and Local Government develops innovative analytical processes and techniques by applying SAS solutions to solve the most complex problems facing state and local governments. The lab offers government customers extensive resources in technical expertise, government-specific advanced analytic solutions, and cloud computing dedicated to hosting state and local government data.
2012 Center for Digital Government Best Fit Integrator Award
John Brocklebank, leader of the SAS Analytics Lab for State and Local Government, received one of two 2012 CDG Leadership Awards, presented to individuals from the private sector who have demonstrated vision, leadership and support of technology with the public sector.
Located at SAS' cloud computing center at our world headquarters, the lab devises technology solutions to address critical government issues, such as fraud, waste, abuse, tax collection, public safety and education. The lab's team of analytic engineers, technical architects and quality assurance analysts comprises more than 400 high-level SAS experts holding minimum education levels of a master's degree in a quantitative field, with most members holding doctorates, and all having between 10 and 30 years of experience.
The lab provides a solution delivery methodology using end-to-end solutions for data warehousing, data quality and documentation, ranging from raw data to advanced analytics. After designing analytical work products for repeatable processes, the lab provides feedback to SAS R&D for the development and improvement of SAS solutions for state and local governments. The lab can develop an analytic workbench at the customer site or at SAS, where we can host data, collaborate on creating and running analytic models, and ensure the results meet business data needs.
Offering a robust, scalable, secure and reliable operational environment, government agencies continually entrust their most critical business functions to SAS.
Partnering with state and local governments, the lab offers a low‐risk approach by distributing the investment predictably over time through a hosted solution. As more government agencies turn to hosted options to provide the level of IT support they need in a secure, reliable environment, SAS delivers SAS OnDemand solutions and services that provide:
The SAS Advanced Lab for Analytics maintains both SOC 2 and SOC 3 certifications.
- Infrastructure – A secure, high‐performance data processing infrastructure, with SLAs guaranteeing high availability. Gain high availability, security and scalability without the need for installation of software or hardware at your agency’s site for a rapid time to value.
- Expertise – Access to the right expert at the right time for optimizing the infrastructure, data warehousing foundation, integrated analytics and business intelligence. SAS also provides government agencies a direct link to SAS R&D for issue resolution and early product functions.
- Communication – A single SAS point of contact acts as customer liaison and project manager, with accountability for the end‐to‐end solution and to ensure best practices are employed in advanced analytics support.
With SAS Solutions OnDemand, customers get a comprehensive business intelligence solution that is based on leading government analytics, delivered by the insiders with government-specific expertise who know these tools best, and deployed on an infrastructure that has been tuned specifically for the solution at hand.
- The North Carolina Office of the State Controller's Criminal Justice Law Enforcement Automated Data Services (CJLEADS) partnered with SAS to provide instant access to information about suspects and convicted criminals for law enforcement and court personnel. Using CJLEADS, the state's Department of Insurance Criminal Investigations Division caught one of the state's largest staged accident rings, saving countless work hours in the process.
- SAS and LA County together created the nation's first fraud-detection system in local government that uses advanced analytics, predictive models and social network analysis to detect and prevent fraud in public assistance programs. The system fights fraud perpetrated by participants and child care providers in the California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs) Stage 1 Child Care Program.
- The Louisiana Workforce Commission (LWC) partnered with SAS to create a statewide SAS fraud detection system, which has collected more than $1.2 million of improperly avoided unemployment insurance taxes, plus penalty and interest.
- The Washington State Department of Labor and Industries now has a workers' compensation fraud system that more accurately identifies fraud, leading to millions of dollars in recovered funds. SAS software has also produced substantial efficiency gains, such as reducing an information review on an employer from 30 minutes to 30 seconds.
- Education Value-Added Assessment System (EVAAS): As the most comprehensive reporting package of value-added metrics available in the educational market, SAS EVAAS for K-12 provides valuable diagnostic information about past practices and reports on students' predicted success probabilities at numerous academic milestones. By identifying which students are at risk, educators can be proactive, making sound instructional choices and using their resources more strategically to ensure that every student has the chance to succeed.
SAS is used in all 50 states to transform government operations to deliver the right services, at the right time, with the appropriate resources.
- SOC2 - SAS complies with the Report on Controls at a Service Organization Relevant to Security, Availability, Processing Integrity, Confidentiality or Privacy (SOC2) – a family of reports created by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) and specifically designed for technology outsourcing companies.
- SOC3 Trust Services Report for Service Organizations - SOC3 a Trust Service Report for Service Organizations developed jointly by the AICPA and the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CICA) – is designed to test whether a system is reliable in terms of availability, security and integrity. Independent audit and SOC3 certification ascertains that SAS has effective procedures and controls in place to deliver reliable, safe and secure service.
Ready to learn more?
Call us at 1-800-727-0025 (US and Canada) or request more information.