Government Fraud, Waste and Abuse
Prevent improper payments
To combat improper payments, fraud, waste and abuse, governments need to improve their efficiency by using an intelligent approach to data analytics to detect abnormal patterns, link multiple parties, automatically route suspicious cases for further investigation, and use predictive modeling to uncover new potentially fraudulent activity.
Charged with analyzing employee health benefit claims, a government agency uses SAS to detect and prevent fraudulent cases. Auditors have recovered millions of dollars in overpaid claims and have experienced a 50 percent time savings on benefit claim reviews.
How SAS® Can Help
Your best defense against improper payments is to identify poorly designed processes as well as detect fraudulent activity and hidden relationships in the enormous amounts of operational data that underpin the day-to-day business of government. SAS approaches the problem by delivering software and services to help you:
- Improve information credibility by integrating disparate data sources - regardless of format – and applying embedded data quality techniques to ensure accuracy.
- Enhance the effectiveness of audits and investigations by predicting future risks, uncovering hidden relationships and detecting subtle patterns of behavior that may indicate fraud by visualizing data from multiple angles and prioritizing suspicious cases.
- Deliver insight for quick, confident decisions via a Web-based portal that lets decision makers perform interactive queries and generate meaningful reports.
- Demonstrate financial accountability with a consistent approach to financial management that improves organizational responsibility, fraud deterrence and process transparency by monitoring expenditures and tightening internal controls.
- Measure program performance by defining and monitoring key performance metrics via a dashboard environment to determine how effective and efficient your programs are at deterring fraud and improper payments.
SAS provides an end-to-end approach with a technology framework that integrates with existing IT infrastructures, smoothes the flow of information across departments and functions, and supports future technologies and business processes not yet defined.
How SAS® Is Different
SAS delivers a proven foundation for financial intelligence and performance management, along with best practices that tie together all the essential areas of fraud management. The industry-leading SAS Fraud Framework gives you the ability to develop a cohesive strategy for control, discovery, prioritization and deterrence that addresses your agency's unique objectives and business processes. Only SAS provides comprehensive:
- Detection and alert generation for uncovering suspicious activity using multiple analytic techniques and automatically routing suspicious cases for further review.
- Alert management capabilities that let you assemble alerts from multiple monitoring systems, associate them with common individuals or entities, and automatically prioritize and route potentially fraudulent cases to appropriate team members.
- Social network analysis for reaching beyond individual views to analyze all related activities and relationships at a network dimension so you can uncover previously hidden linkages that would otherwise go undetected.
- Case management capabilities that enable systematic facilitation of investigations and the ability to capture and display all information pertinent to a case.
No other solution provides better detection of – and greater insight into – improper payments, fraud, waste and abuse. And because SAS has more than 35 years' experience working with government agencies, you know that you have a trusted partner who will be there to guide and support you as your needs grow and change.
Related Products and Solutions
SAS® Fraud Framework for Government
Government agencies face enormous challenges in attempting to prevent improper payments caused by fraud, waste and abuse. In the US, the federal government estimated more than $108 billion in improper payments was lost in fiscal year 2012 alone – a conservative estimate at best. And it's the taxpayer who ends up footing the bill. The SAS Fraud Framework for Government can help agencies at all levels of government wage a war against the misuse of government funds.
SAS® Business Analytics
To lead your organization in today’s challenging economic climate, you need fact-based answers that you and others can believe in. Traditional approaches to decision support have not yielded optimal results. SAS provides the world’s best analytics embedded in a framework that supports the entire decision making process. This helps our customers find answers to immediate business issues and implement their visions for the future.
SAS Analytics provides an integrated environment for predictive and descriptive modeling, data mining, text analytics, forecasting, optimization, simulation, experimental design and more. From dynamic visualization to predictive modeling, model deployment and process optimization, SAS provides a range of techniques and processes for the collection, classification, analysis and interpretation of data to reveal patterns, anomalies, key variables and relationships, leading ultimately to new insights and better answers faster.
Ready to learn more?
Call us at 1-800-727-0025 (US and Canada) or request more information.