Meter Deployment Optimization
Manage technology rollouts efficiently and cost-effectively to meet stakeholder expectations
" In order to ensure a successful smart metering deployment, potential barriers need to be analyzed in advance and necessary steps to mitigate barriers need to be taken. In addition, developments which may endanger successful smart metering deployment need to be taken seriously throughout the process."
— Development of Best Practice Recommendations for Smart Meters Rollout in the Energy Community
KEMA, February 2012
How SAS® Can Help
Smart meter deployments present utilities with many logistical, technical and commercial challenges. Getting the installation process right and improving efficiency mean significant savings across the board. With SAS, you can:
- Optimize the rollout process. Use optimization, project scheduling and simulation techniques to identify the actions that will produce the best results, while operating within resource limitations and other relevant restrictions.
- Monitor performance of the rollout plan. Measure progress toward targets and goals; receive alerts about underperformance; visually depict indicators, objectives and initiatives; and share feedback and commentary.
- Choose the right pilot customers. View summary reports and graphs to see total offers and expected profitability. Constraint summaries show actual resource consumption in the optimized scenario, as well as opportunity costs for constraints.
- Manage timely and effective customer communications. Define target segments, prioritize selection rules, choose optimal channels for customer outreach, schedule and execute campaigns, and analyze performance.
- Forecast resources for installations. Quickly generate granular forecasts to reduce forecasting and planning cycles and to permit more frequent updates – using the level of automation that’s right for you.
How SAS® Is Different
SAS provides the full breadth of analytical and data management capabilities needed to tackle the complexities of optimizing smart meter deployments. With SAS, you get:
- A broad range of techniques to solve complex business problems. SAS offers the broadest available spectrum of operations research modeling and solution techniques, including state-of-the-art advancements in mathematical optimization.
- Comprehensive, integrated analytics. With SAS, optimization, forecasting, econometrics, statistical analysis and data mining are all included in one integrated system – so you can avoid niche vendors and the need for manual intervention.
- Embedded data quality. SAS augments the data management process with data quality tools that cleanse marketing data and provide an accurate starting point for all marketing campaigns.
- Large-scale automatic forecasting. You can choose to let SAS automatically generate large quantities of statistically based forecasts without human intervention – making the forecasting process more efficient and freeing analysts to focus on high-value or problematic forecasts.
Related Products and Solutions
SAS® Strategy Management
SAS Strategy Management improves governance, focus and alignment of key initiatives and goals by breaking down organizational silos that can inhibit effective strategy execution throughout an organization. The unique SAS capability to validate statistically what influences outcomes may help prevent an organization from pursuing flawed strategies for months or even years at higher costs in terms of money, reputation and brand.
SAS/OR software provides a powerful array of optimization, simulation and project scheduling techniques to identify the actions that will produce the best results, while operating within resource limitations and tight restrictions. It enables organizations to consider more alternative actions and scenarios, and determine the best allocation of resources and the best plans for accomplishing goals.
Ready to learn more?
Call us at 1-800-727-0025 (US and Canada) or request more information.