Forecasting for Utilities
Maximize investments in smart meters and advanced metering infrastructure (AMI)
How SAS® Can Help
Forecasting is increasing in importance in the smart meter and smart grid era due to the growing complexity of challenges to the industry and abundance of new data. For the energy and utilities industry, better forecasting enables long-term integrated resource planning and improved capital expense budgeting. With SAS, you can:
- Analyze and forecast trends, now and over time. Whether you want to understand past trends, forecast the future or better understand how your business functions, we provide a wide range of analytical tools that ensure your success.
- Identify which factors improve forecast accuracy versus which ones to exclude. With multiple views of trends and correlations, you can make better decisions about the power portfolio and improve understanding of the effects of climate, economic factors and other determinants on the forecast.
- Know when customers change behavior. Gain clarity into consumer response to economic conditions, climate change, demand response programs or government initiatives by forecasting energy demand at any level of geographic or asset hierarchy, including meter level.
- Manage volumes of energy usage data inputs from smart meters. Harness new data streams to improve minute-by-minute responses to changing use conditions. Convert transactional meter and operational systems into a forecast-ready format.
- Quickly build forecast models for smaller time increments. Understand demographics and user profiles, with usage information coming in 15- or 30-minute intervals.
- Develop predictive modeling capabilities. Take the knowledge from forecasts and predict the impacts that changes to the independent variables will have on demand, load and revenue for better planning, risk mitigation and improved response to governmental regulations and inquiries.
How SAS® Is Different
- Superior data integration capabilities. This enables companies to extract and transform data from nearly any source, identify analytically relevant variables and describe underlying patterns and characteristics of a data set.
- A proven track record in helping industries adapt to change. SAS has many years of experience working with a wide range of markets that have faced new forecasting challenges. SAS can support generation, transmission and distribution resource planning, capital and O&M budgeting, revenue forecasting, retail marketing, call center staffing, customer management and risk assessment.
- A proven solution. SAS solutions can generate large quantities of high-quality forecasts quickly and automatically, enabling organizations to plan more effectively for the future. Analysts can generate forecasts that reflect the realities of business, improving your ability to plan future events with confidence, and improve forecasting performance across all products and locations – at any level of aggregation.
Related Products and Solutions
SAS® Energy Forecasting
SAS Energy Forecasting provides trustworthy, repeatable and defensible load forecasts for planning horizons that range from very short-term to very long-term. Built on SAS' experience in working with hundreds of utilities worldwide, the solution offers a broad degree of automation, scalability, statistical sophistication and transparency. It enables utilities to operate more efficiently and effectively at all levels of decision making.
SAS® Business Analytics
To lead your organization in today’s challenging economic climate, you need fact-based answers that you and others can believe in. Traditional approaches to decision support have not yielded optimal results. SAS provides the world’s best analytics embedded in a framework that supports the entire decision making process. This helps our customers find answers to immediate business issues and implement their visions for the future.
Ready to learn more?
Call us at 1-800-727-0025 (US and Canada) or request more information.