Unconventional Resource Exploration Optimization
Maximize data resources to improve extraction efficiency
With more than 90 global customers in the oil and gas industry, SAS has solutions that provide a holistic approach to oilfield extraction challenges. Our solutions can reduce costs and enable operators to make analytics-based decisions.
" Today, roughly 50 percent of the domestically produced natural gas supply comes from shale gas, tight gas sands and coal seams, and this share is expected to rise over the next 25 years to 74 percent."
— Domestic Unconventional Fossil Energy Resource Opportunities and Technology Report to Congress, US
Department of Energy
How SAS® Can Help
Extraction and production techniques for unconventional resources require combinations of analytical processes that operators may not have used effectively in the past to maximize returns and reduce costs. With SAS, you can:
- Make faster, more accurate decisions about extraction techniques. Aggregate data from various sources to analyze in near-real time and collect it in a data store for further static analysis by senior decision makers.
- Identify parameters with the most significant statistical impacts. Identify key production indicator variables and their range of values; automate data normalization and remediation for missing and erroneous values; and identify objective functions.
- Increase collaboration among teams specialized in unconventional resource extraction. Automatically route alerts to subject-matter experts, receive work items from multiple monitoring systems and store the information for future use.
- Take appropriate action to maximize field production. Compare real-time production data rates and type curves against forecasted trends; segment fields via well profile clustering; and increase confidence within defined intervals of expectation.
- Comply with evolving regulatory regimes. Aggregate data and create business rules according to reporting requirements.
How SAS® Is Different
SAS overcomes challenges in forecasting and extracting resources from unconventional sources through flexible data management architecture and analytics solutions. With SAS, you get:
- Collaborative visual business intelligence. From geologists to engineers to financial experts, SAS technology helps key team members view and understand important analyses about well placement, stimulation strategies and well performance in near-real time.
- Probabilistic forecasts. Advanced analytical approaches go beyond business as usual to quantify measures of uncertainty, increase forecast robustness and deepen understanding of oilfield performance.
- Sophisticated data integration tools. SAS provides an unmatched ability to collect and transform multiple, siloed data sources into a unified body of knowledge. It unites data for drilling, production, subsurface, federated identity, geodetic seismic recording, national data repository data and more.
- What-if analyses. Evaluate well and reservoir performance under simulated business and environmental conditions for better predictions.
- Flexibility and scalability. Whether you operate five rigs or 50, SAS can easily grow and change along with you.
Related Products and Solutions
SAS® Visual Analytics
SAS Visual Analytics is a high-performance, in-memory solution for exploring any size of data very quickly. It enables you to spot patterns, identify opportunities for further analysis and convey visual results via Web reports, the iPad® or an Android tablet.
A key component is the SAS® LASR™ Analytic Server, which quickly reads data into memory for fast processing and data visualization. Users can then explore all data, execute analytic correlations on billions of rows of data in just minutes or seconds, and visually present results. This helps quickly identify patterns, trends and relationships in data that were not easily seen before.
SAS® Enterprise Miner™
SAS Enterprise Miner streamlines the data mining process to create highly accurate predictive and descriptive models based on large volumes of data from across the enterprise. It offers a rich, easy-to-use set of integrated capabilities for creating and sharing insights that can be used to drive better decisions.
Forward-thinking organizations today are using SAS data mining software to detect fraud, minimize risk, anticipate resource demands, reduce asset downtime, increase response rates for marketing campaigns and curb customer attrition.
SAS® DataFlux® Data Management
SAS provides an integrated environment of solutions, tools, methodologies and workflows that enables organizations to manage big data as a valued asset, driving both core operational processes and strategic decision making. With these data management capabilities, organizations can make full use of all incoming data to uncover hidden insights and increase competitive edge.
The breadth of SAS DataFlux technologies helps organizations lower costs, increase efficiency and productivity, and provide measurable value. High-performance, scalable solutions ensure that organizations can successfully complete the most demanding data integration, data management and data governance projects.
Data is just as important of an asset for small and midsize companies as it is for their larger counterparts. SAS offers data management solutions designed and priced specifically for small and midsize businesses.
Ready to learn more?
Call us at 1-800-727-0025 (US and Canada) or request more information.