SAS® Connectivity Software Features
Seamless, transparent data access
- Broad access to data through an intuitive interface, regardless of where it’s stored.
- Support for a wide range of databases and platforms, including big data databases, relational stores, data warehouses, mainframe sources and PC files.
- Easy integration with popular platforms without detailed knowledge of the database or SQL.
- Option of working in SAS or SQL with automatic generation of the appropriate SQL statements, passed through to the database for execution.
- Support for integration standards outside of the dedicated SAS connectivity modules, including ODBC, JDBC and OLE DB.
- Ability to execute procedural language, complementing SQL-based statement logic.
- High level of security with native database security mechanisms.
- Option to import or export data from a PC file to a SAS data set, as well as the ability to read and write directly to PC files.
Flexible query language support
- Seamlessly access data with minimal knowledge of the data or the SQL required to surface it.
- Take more control by using your own customer SQL statements to modify or maintain automatically generated SQL.
- Map SAS specific statements or functions to database-specific statements or functions and process SQL statements directly inside the database for optimal performance.
- Enlist a SAS extension to process the appropriate query logic using the SAS or database engine.
Performance tuning options
- Take advantage of a multithreaded read interface, as well as threaded kernel technology and native APIs.
- Enable federated views through optimized read and write, including buffering, compression, threading, chunking, and sort and join performance.
- Join processing is automatically pushed into the database.
- Boost performance with temporary table support.
- Work effortlessly with seamless interfaces to loaders and utilities without an in-depth understanding of each loader.
- Use PROC pushdown to convert many SAS Procs into native SQL for in-database execution.
- Maintain DBMS metadata within SAS, and reuse data jobs.
- Use jobs across a variety of SAS solutions, including SAS® Enterprise Guide®, SAS Data Management and SAS Studio.
- Use native storage options, including support for temporary tables, materialized views and partitioned tables.
- Make use of native database types that translate the source database to the appropriate SAS data type.
- Increase database performance with processor threads, placing data into a memory buffer between reads.
- National language support.
Optimization features for better performance
- Use pipeline read to increase database read performance by up to 30% via a processor thread that reads data from a database and places it into a memory buffer.
- Improve efficiency with native storage options, including temporary tables, materialized views and partitioned tables.
- Speed processing with native database types, which are automatically translated to the appropriate SAS data type.