To browse resources by type, select an option below.
- Select Resource Type
- Analyst Report
- Blog Post
- Book Excerpt
- Case Study
- Executive Brief
- Fact Sheet
- Industry Overview
- Overview Brochure
- Product Brief
- Solution Brief
- Séminaire web
- White Paper
- White Paper
Digital Intelligence: The Heart of Successful Digital Transformation
This paper explores how digital transformation is changing marketing and customer experience throughout industries, including banking, retail and telecommunications. It also covers the importance of data in digital intelligence and discusses strategic ways to build a digital intelligence platform.
- White Paper Building Data-Driven Supply-Chain Resilience for 2020 - and BeyondThis paper explores the many ways implementing next-generation best practices and technologies can improve supply chain performance today and tomorrow.
- Séminaire web Machine Learning and SAS Viya Deliver Next-Generation Retail Assortment Optimization When it comes to optimizing localized assortments, innovative approaches using machine learning forecasts, basket analysis and transferable demand are essential.
A Practical View of New Product Forecasting
In this paper, SAS and Virginia Commonwealth University School of Business examine the current state of new product forecasting and provide a clear, current look at how your peers are using analytics and technology to improve their new product forecasting capabilities.
Size Optimization Made Easy With Machine Learning and Analytics
Discover how size optimization can help you meet the challenges of assortment management by enabling you to estimate actual customer size demand. There is an answer to these problems – size optimization.
- Article How to create your own organizational think tank Analytics today is about looking to the future for answers. Two retail analytics leaders share their ideas for creating a smart team of diverse experts to shape your strategic focus.
- E-Book Internet of Things: Understanding the JourneyWhether your focus is business outcomes or technology challenges, this guide provides the insights to accelerate your IoT journey.
3 Building Blocks of Optimized Price & Promotion Strategies
Discover the key factors affecting merchants’ plans for improved pricing and promotions, with a focus on consolidating and analyzing disparate data sources.
- Article Small but mighty: Modern marketing for the midmarketUsing data to improve the customer experience is how midmarket companies can take on the retail titans to win the hearts of their customers.
- Article A lesson in customer service from Chick-fil-A President Dan CathyDoes Chick-fil-A’s commitment to be kind to employees and provide heartfelt hospitality to customers make the food taste better? President and COO Dan Cathy says it does, and the numbers back him up. He recently shared the secret behind the family-owned company's success.
Demand shaping is commonly thought of in terms of demand manipulation. This paper provides an extended version of demand shaping that helps organizations understand the dynamics of both supply and demand.
- White Paper Understanding Data Streams in IoTThis paper explains how streaming analytics helps you acquire, understand and use real-time, streaming data to make fact-based, automated decisions – and instantaneously react to new information.
Modernize Merchandise Planning With Retail Analytics
Discover the top five strategies for modernizing merchandise planning with retail analytics.
- Séminaire web SAS on Google Cloud Platform and Big QueryInnovative retail companies are moving analytics to Google Cloud Platform (GCP) and Big Query. How can you modernize SAS with a GCP cloud migration?
- Article The 5 new rules of retailWhy did the rules of retail need to be rewritten? Because 2020 happened and shopping patterns changed overnight. There were product shortages, store closures and long lines to get in the few stores that were open. Consumers moved to online shopping in droves and expected a seamless experience in-store and online: Curbside pickup; same-day delivery; contactless delivery; buy online, pick up in store. The list goes on.
- Article Seven characteristics of the modern consumerToday's consumers are connected, content driven and global. Learn how leaders from eBay, Chico’s and Brooks Brothers described their shoppers at the recent Retail Big Show.
- Séminaire web Future of Supply Chain Virtual Toolkit This virtual toolkit includes on-demand video insights from supply chain expert Lora Cecere to teach you how modernizing your supply chain can help you save resources, time and money.
Combining Analytics and Structured Judgment: A Step-By-Step Guide for New Product Forecasting
New product launches are the most difficult to forecast. The uncertainty associated with a new product is much greater than that of forecasting older, more mature products. This uncertainty and the lack of historical data make traditional time series techniques unreliable. But using historical data associated with similar, previously launched products, combined with your domain knowledge in a structured process, can be an effective approach to forecast the demand for new products.
- Article 3 ways to rethink retail forecasting and demand planning The pandemic has profoundly changed consumer shopping behaviors and experiences and the increasing pressure has retailers scrambling to improve their ability to precisely predict and plan for demand. If you don’t know where to start, here are three questions to ask as you rethink your forecasting and demand planning.
The Analytics Arms Race: May the Best Insights Win
Industry leaders CGT and RIS have joined forces for this annual check on the analytics maturity level in CPG and retail.
- Analyst Report SAS is a Leader in The Forrester Wave™: Real-Time Interaction Management, Q4 2020Forrester names SAS a Leader in The Forrester Wave™: Real-Time Interaction Management, Q4 2020.
- Analyst Report Gartner positions SAS as a Leader in the Magic Quadrant for Retail Assortment Management Applications, 2014
- White Paper The Evolution of AnalyticsLearn about modern applications for machine learning, including recommendation systems, streaming analytics, deep learning and cognitive computing. And learn from the experiences of two companies that have successfully navigated organizational and technological challenges to adopt machine learning and embark on their own analytics evolution.
- Article 5 IoT applications retailers are using today The Internet of Things can bring big benefits, but what is IoT and how are retailers taking advantage of it?
EKN Report: Big Data in Retail
This research report outlines how retailers can get started with a pragmatic approach to big data, once their need and readiness is established.
- E-Book Brilliant decision? In the battle for consumers’ hearts and minds, retailers have typically focused their digital transformation initiatives on customer experience and engagement. However, in these challenging times, it’s not enough to just get the customer’s attention — you need to convert impressions and site or store visits into sales and fulfilled orders.
- Article What is omnichannel analytics?Omnichannel analytics used to mean recognizing and marketing to customers across all channels. Now, smart retailers know it can, and must, mean so much more.
- Séminaire web Big Data and the Retail RevolutionLearn how retail pioneers around the world are turning to data and analytics to design customer experiences and unlock a new world of opportunity.
- White Paper Making the Case: The ROI of Demand ManagementThis paper shows how to determine the value of improving the credibility of the demand plan. Several templates are included to help in quantifying and documenting the return on investment.
- Article Retail cyber risk toleranceManage your data assets just as you would any of your physical assets by putting security plans in place for any and all contingencies.
The Real-Time and Predictive Commerce Playbook for CMOs
Find out how the shift toward real-time and predictive analytics is empowering retailers, and learn the top 10 actions you should take to become a successful retailer in the age of digital Darwinism.
- Séminaire web How Top Brands Are Embracing Next-Gen Markdown OptimizationLearn how top retailers are using new technology to make intelligent decisions and automation seamless across their data.
Using Big Data to Enable the Omnichannel Retail Experience
As trends in consumer buying patterns continue to evolve, retailers need solutions that can derive deep data analytic insights to provide a more sophisticated, centralized view of their customers’ preferences and buying journeys.
- White Paper Industry Overview Using Machine Learning and Demand Sensing to Enhance Short-Term ForecastingEffective supply chain management is critical to ensure the timely replenishment of products by properly managing the movement and storage of raw materials and finished goods from the point-of-origin to the point-of-consumption.
- White Paper The Impact of Machine Learning on Demand Planning PrecisionAdvanced analytics and intelligent automation are laying the foundation for a powerful new model that can improve demand planning processes and increase forecast accuracy, leading to significant cost savings for consumer goods organizations
- White Paper The Art of Decisive Merchandising This research report discusses which changes in merchandising offer the most painful obstacles to overcome and which ones open doors to the most promising opportunities.
3 Building Blocks Of Optimized Price & Promotion Strategies
This e-book examines the key factors affecting merchants’ plans for improved pricing and promotions, with a focus on how to consolidate and analyze disparate data sources.
- Article Analytics at the edgeStreaming data from automobiles, medical devices, location apps and other "things" lives at the edge of the network, where it can be used to monitor existing conditions and evaluate future scenarios. Learn how organizations in multiple industries are finding opportunity in analyzing this data from the Internet of Things.
- White Paper Life Cycle Price OptimizationThis paper illustrates how SAS Markdown Optimization can help customers develop well-thought-out markdown plans. Make critical markdown decisions quickly. And maximize margins and inventory sell-through and revenue.
- Article How Walmart makes data work for its customersTips from the world's largest retailer on building an infrastructure that makes data work for its 240 million customers a week.
Demand Signal Analytics
There are challenges to becoming a demand-driven organization. Many of the data sources are new for most companies, so ownership, expertise and governance are important. Many executives say that their organizations are still in the early stages of data integration and cleansing due to poor data quality and lack of internal skills for maximizing analytic benefits. What does it take to move toward becoming an organization that can take full advantage of its data using predictive analytics? In this paper, industry expert Charles Chase explains the tools you will need to become a demand-sensing master.
- Séminaire web Cloud-Based Retail Analytics for Next-Gen Merchandise PlanningLearn how top brands are using new technology to make intelligent decisions and automation seamless across their data.
- Analyst Report IDC Perspective: Highlights from the 2018 European SAS Conference for Industry AnalystsThis IDC Perspective summarizes key takeaways from the annual European SAS Conference for Industry Analysts.
The Analytics Mandate: Helping Retailers Evolve
Find out why 77 percent of retailers who participated in an MIT Sloan survey believe analytics provides a competitive advantage compared with 64 percent of respondents from other industries.
- Article The connected consumer: IoT's impact on the future of retailThe IoT and the connected consumer are set to revolutionize retail. Here are a few ways companies can take advantage of technology advancements.
Using Multitiered Causal Analysis to Improve Demand Forecasts and Optimize Marketing Strategy
Multitiered causal analysis (MTCA) enables consumer packaged goods (CPG) manufacturers to measure the impact of marketing on retail consumer demand and perform what-if analysis to predict and maximize future demand. This case study excerpted from the book Demand-Driven Forecasting, by Charles Chase of SAS, shows how one beverage manufacturer employed MTCA to improve its demand forecasts and optimize marketing strategy.
Shopper Insights to Improve Retail Loyalty Programs
Leveraging Kellogg’s experiential learning initiative, SAS worked with a group of MBA marketing research students to find out what drives retailer loyalty. The findings offer guidance on how retailers can improve their loyalty programs.
Improving Inventory Replenishment for Retail Product Promotions
This paper describes how inventory optimization solutions must better mimic real-world conditions to accommodate promotional demands in order to truly optimize the replenishment process.
Four Use Cases Show Real-World Impact of IoT
This TDWI e-book explores in detail what IoT means and does for retailers, the automotive industry, state and local governments working with utilities firms, and the manufacturing industry. Common themes include connectedness, data-driven insights, predictive capabilities and transformation.
- Article How do recommendation systems know what you might like?How do recommendation systems know what you’re likely to want and offer it up while you’re shopping? That’s a computationally intensive question that used to take hours or days to answer. With distributed computing and in-memory analytics, it’s done in minutes.
- Analyst Report Merchandising & The Omnichannel Impact
How can retailers satisfy today’s customers?
With omnichannel analytics, you can use all the data you’re collecting on multiple channels, combine it with product data to improve all retail operations, while also improving the customer experience.
- Article Keeping your customers happy with assortment optimizationIf you want to make the best assortment decisions possible for your store or chain, let the data your customers provide be your guide.
- Article Situational awareness guides our responses – routine to crisisMany circumstances call for situational awareness – that is, being mindful of what’s present and happening around you. The COVID-19 pandemic heightened this need, as leaders across industries used analytics and visualization to gain real-time situational awareness and respond with fast, critical decisions.
Sales & Marketing Report 2017 - The Digital Experience
CGT’s Sales & Marketing Report 2017, sponsored by SAS, looks at progress on several key topics, including supply chain, trade promotion, direct-to-consumer marketing, data and analytics, security and the digital enterprise.
- Séminaire web Real-Time Analytics in Retail: Deeper Customer Insights. Better Customer Experience. Learn how to create real-time, contextualized interactions and analyze all data to gain a holistic view of customers.
Better Forecasting With Next-Generation Demand Management
The multitude of forces affecting the relationship between demand and supply are set to expand their influence. Smart leaders will take advantage of the flood of digital data to better understand those forces to make more accurate and predictive supply chain decisions.
Analytically Driven Pricing
Traditional, cost-based pricing for transportation services can lead to less-than-optimal profits and revenues. In contrast, using analytics-driven pricing, companies can bring together relevant internal and external data and harness analytics for accurate customer segmentation, price-demand estimation, forecasting and price optimization. This approach allows them to consistently optimize pricing decisions for better business performance
IoT in Retail: Engaging the Connected Customer
How do you make your brick-and-mortar stores as smart as your website so when customers walk in the door, you recognize them and cater to their individual tastes? Learn the key to making in-store shopping as frictionless for your customer as online shopping.
Assisted Demand Planning Using Machine Learning for CPG and Retail
Intelligent automation techniques can be applied to all kinds of activities across your organization to reduce the everyday repetitive work while uncovering key insights to improve the effectiveness of your processes, as well as your workforce.
- White Paper Using Advanced Analytics to Model, Predict, and Adapt to Changing Consumer Demand Patterns Affected by COVID-19SAS advanced analytics and predictive modeling tools can help businesses understand demand, adjust strategies, and emerge stronger and more agile than ever.
- Article Demand forecasting and the 7 habits of effective retailersWhy do some retailers consistently outperform others? Retail Systems Research reveals some key reasons and offers essential advice for those who want to become (or continue to be) winners.