How SAS Supports P-20 Data Systems
SAS provides software and services for creating a robust and modernized statewide longitudinal data system (SLDS) to help education leaders move from assumption-based decisions to data-driven decisions informed by analytic insight.
- Combine multiple sources of disparate data across early childhood, K-12, postsecondary and workforce.
- Ensure data security with a solution designed for privacy and compliance.
- Automate data quality with embedded business rules.
- Use data models aligned to the Common Education Data Standards, Ed-Fi and SIF data standards.
- Explore student-level data and predict trends over time.
- Create the foundation for analytically informed decision making.
- Perform simulations and scenario analyses to demonstrate the potential impacts of decisions.
- Evolve from flat, static files to dynamic visualizations.
- Provide users with displays that help stakeholders understand data more easily.
- Display data in multiple formats.
- Create interactive visualizations based on best practices and the ability to meet the needs of different audiences
Why do education leaders choose SAS for P-20 data systems?
SAS helps state education agencies connect and see student-level data over time. This aggregate data can be used to spot trends for improving education systems. The solution identifies highly successful programs that support student achievement and highlights opportunities for improvement, such as common equity challenges.
Demonstrate the need for desired policies and the progress of reforms.
Help policymakers, parents and education leaders make data-informed decisions.
Identify successful programs that support student achievement.
Provide data for further investigation to help close achievement gaps.
Highlight return on education program investments.
Address issues critical to understanding your state’s future education and workforce needs.
The SAS application provides actionable and easy-to-access metrics/dashboards that assist in guiding data validation, cleansing and prep for successful data loads. Meredith Fergus Manager of Research/SLEDS Coordinator Minnesota Office of Higher Education
CUSTOMER SUCCESS IN K-12 EDUCATION
Working Smarter With SAS®
Minnesota Department of Education
Exploring COVID-19's effects on pre-K to workforce journey
Minnesota's longitudinal data system integrates early childhood education, K-12, postsecondary and workforce data to create a panoramic view of education outcomes. The state's leaders and educators are using it to understand the pandemic's effects, from pre-K to workforce.
Michigan Department of Education
Getting food benefits to children in need during COVID-19
Thanks to the Michigan Department of Education's Center for Educational Performance and Information (CEPI), Michigan was able to distribute benefits to more than 900,000 families by May. Built using SAS software, CEPI collects student educational data from school districts in an SLDS.
North Carolina Department of Public Instruction
Providing parents, educators, state leaders, researchers and others with important information about school and district-level data
North Carolina's School Report Cards, which are created and hosted by SAS, provide details on student performance and academic growth, school and student characteristics and much more for all North Carolina public schools, including charter and alternative schools. A user-friendly dashboard meets the needs of all users.
Florida Department of Education (FLDOE)
Modernizing systems, increasing reporting accuracy and improving stakeholder experience
SAS is helping the Florida Department of Education create a persistent statewide unique identifier and longitudinal view of students and staff across colleges, K-12, and other sources and systems.
Recommended Resources for P-20 Data Systems
- White Paper Data Management: The Foundation for Successful Reporting and Analytics in EducationSee how effective data management enables educational institutions to generate accurate reports and analytics - and how SAS can help.
- White Paper The Evolution of P20W Data LinkingLearn how Minnesota’s P20W Data Warehouse will provide a valuable data repository for early childhood care, education and employment information for many audiences to improve the experiences and outcomes of individuals across the lifespan.
- White Paper From cradle to career: A modern SLDSModern statewide longitudinal data systems (SLDS) that meets the needs of students and their communities are an essential part of a strong educational framework.
- Series SAS Training: Data Literacy EssentialsFrom young students to lifelong learners, knowing how to engage with data is more important than ever. Check out our free, self-paced data literacy course to start building those skills!