To browse resources by type, select an option below.
- Select One
- Analyst Report
- Executive Brief
- Fact Sheet
- Industry Overview
- Product Brief
- Overview Brochure
- Solution Brief
- White Paper
- White Paper
- Blog Post
- Book Excerpt
- Case Study
- Customer Story
- Article Top 5 prepaid card fraud scamsThe margin for prepaid cards is slim, so it's particularly important to root out the scams. Here are some tips for combating and mitigating prepaid card fraud.
Balancing Fraud Detection and the Customer Experience
Customers of a digital business create an intricate online footprint as they transact online. Businesses that capture and truly understand a complete identity based on online and offline attributes can seamlessly authenticate good customers and reliably spot the fraudulent or hijacked identities – in real time.
- White Paper Value and Opportunity: An Executive Guide to Procurement IntegrityProcurement integrity (PI) represents a broader problem and bigger opportunity than most businesses recognize. Comprehensive PI programs continuously validate purchasing transactions, using data and analytics to trace patterns, spot anomalies, and reduce fraud, waste and abuse.
- Article Unemployment fraud meets analytics: Battle lines are clearly drawnMany fraudsters seized opportunities presented by the COVID-19 pandemic. During the crisis, unemployment fraud became a battleground between international criminal networks and government agencies. Learn how analytics can save billions from going into the wrong hands and deliver benefits to those truly in need.
Detecting and Preventing Banking Application Fraud
Since credit fraud often starts with a falsified application, it makes sense to have strong tools to monitor loans and credit lines from that point onward. This paper discusses analytics-driven methods for validating applications and spotting trouble multiple stages.
- Customer Story Turkish insurer achieves real-time fraud detectionAksigorta uses advanced analytics to increase fraud detection rate by 66 percent.
- Customer Story Financial lender cuts third-party fraud by more than 80% with layered detectionAxcess Financial uses SAS Identity 360 to dramatically reduce fraud losses and boost customer satisfaction.
- Customer Story Halting payments to healthcare fraudstersState of Illinois identifies and tackles claims fraud with SAS Analytics.
- E-Book Fight money laundering with these 5 game changers from SASEffectively battling dynamic financial crime threats requires new capabilities for AML defense – such as artificial intelligence, machine learning, intelligent automation and advanced visualization.
- White Paper What Lies BeneathThe prevalence of and approaches to procurement fraud in global business.
- Article What do drones, AI and proactive policing have in common?Law enforcement and public safety agencies must wrangle diverse data sets – such as data from drones – in their proactive policing operations. To be most effective, they need modern tools that support AI techniques like machine learning, computer vision and natural language processing.
- White Paper What is next-generation AML? The fight against financial crime fortified with robotics, semantic analysis and artificial intelligence
- Customer Story Fast analytical defenseDeutsche Kreditbank AG combats fraud and money laundering with SAS.
- White Paper How Public Sector Agencies Can Use Analytics to Lead Through CrisisWhen public service leaders need to make vital decisions quickly – to guide people through a crisis and save lives – data analytics is essential.
How Advanced Analytics Can Prevent Medicaid Fraud
Medicaid fraud is prevalent, costly and difficult to prevent. With a combination of more integrated data and advanced analytics, state agencies can turn the tables on fraudsters. They can accelerate the transition from detection to prevention, as new forms of fraud are recognized faster and fewer improper payments go out the door.
- Customer Story Brazil tackles insurance fraud with AI and analyticsCNseg relies on SAS to thwart fraud, improves alert accuracy by 67%.
Opportunities for Insurers: Operationalizing Analytics
As insurers expand the applications of analytics across business functions – underwriting to claims to marketing – they have to master the basics: quality data, business and analytical skills, and focused strategy. To explore what it takes to operationalize analytics in the insurance industry, IIA spoke with Jim Hulett, Insurance Solutions Consultant in the Global Security Intelligence Practice at SAS.
- Customer Story Advanced analytics can detect and prevent insurance fraud before losses occur
- White Paper Banking Application Fraud: Enemy at the GatesFind out how you can connect the dots from day one by creating multiple levels of detection that use different analytical techniques to identify both known and unknown patterns, yet one that can evolve and adapt with time.
- Article IoT securityThe internet of things, with about 6.4 billion external (and vulnerable) devices on networks, calls for a more rigorous approach to cybersecurity.
How to Succeed With Fraud Analytics
Any large organization that could be a target for fraud has vast resources of data that could power an analytics-driven defense. Find out about the three pillars of analytics success, the eight realities that are reshaping the fraud management environment, and six ways to make a solid business case for funding a new or upgraded fraud analytics program.
- Article Small-time cheats and organized crime: Benefits fraud re-examinedTo combat benefits fraud, better utilize resources and improve ROI, analytics can detect organized crime rings rather than just small-time fraudsters.
Close the Detection Deficit with Security Analytics
Explore how security analytics can transform the way we understand threats that confront organizations of all sizes. Learn why analytical tools are becoming increasingly crucial to the enterprise security conversation.
- Customer Story A risk-based approach to combat money laundering in IsraelSAS Anti-Money Laundering helps Ayalon Insurance monitor suspicious activity and meet challenging regulatory requirements.
AI Is at the Forefront of Reducing Money Laundering and Combating the Financing of Terrorism
See how artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning (ML) and robotic process automation (RPA) are helping firms overcome the challenges, improve results and make AML/CFT programs more efficient and effective.
- Article Rethink customer due diligenceTo streamline compliance and protect against financial and regulatory risk, re-examine your customer due diligence processes and technologies regularly. With new analytical tools, you can monitor customer transactions or personal information in real time, and accurately segment customers by the risk they represent.
Fighting Insurance Application Fraud
Learn about the advantages of using analytics-driven methods for authenticating applicants to reveal customer gaming, agent gaming and potential future claims fraud.
As criminals find new ways to exploit technology and target potential victims, anti-fraud professionals must adopt new technologies to effectively navigate the evolving threat landscape.
- Article Data management for cybersecurity: Know the essentialsSecurity teams tend to underestimate the importance of data management for cybersecurity. See the seven key reasons data management has been so difficult and five steps to getting it right.
- White Paper The Escalation of Digital FraudThis Javelin Research report is based on 120 independent interviews of payment and security executives in 20 countries and delivers a clear picture of how digital fraud has changed the global operating environment for financial institutions.
Fraud in Communications
In a digital world where everything is available via the web, there’s a whole new level of fraud. Today’s communications providers must be vigilant. This white paper explains how organizations can implement the tools and methods to detect and combat emerging fraud methods.
- Article Detecting health care claims fraudHealth care claims fraud could represent as much as 10 percent of total claims cost. Learn how to fight back with analytics.
Keeping Fraud Detection Software Aligned With the Latest Threats
Learn how SAS enables end users to keep fraud detection software current and able to detect new threats.
- Customer Story Q&A: Roberto Benassi on detecting, preventing insurance fraudDetecting, preventing insurance claims fraud is the foundation of upstart property and casualty insurer's strategy to compete with market leaders.
Machine Learning Use Cases in Financial Crimes
Learn 10 proven ways machine learning can boost the efficiency and effectiveness of fraud and financial crimes teams – from data collection to detection to investigation and reporting.
- Research Containing health care costs: Analytics paves the way to payment integrityFor payment integrity, health care organizations need to uncover a wider range of abuse, waste and errors and data-driven analytics is making that possible.
- Article Continuous monitoring: Stop procurement fraud, waste and abuse nowProcurement fraud, waste and abuse silently robs businesses an average of 5% of spend annually. And even when organizations invest in detection methods, they’re often let down by their techniques. Learn what continuous monitoring is and why this proven analytical method is key to fighting back.
- Article Taking pre-emptive action to stem the tide of VAT fraud lossesEU countries lost an estimated €159.5 billion in VAT revenues to VAT fraud in 2014. The solution? Hybrid fraud analytics technology.
Procurement Integrity Powered by Continuous Data Monitoring
Why do many otherwise well-intentioned employees feel tempted to commit fraud today – and end up being successful for so long? Explore how you can change this using SAS for Procurement Integrity.
- E-Book High velocity decisions. Trusted outcomes.Protecting against fraud, money laundering and public security challenges requires making intelligent decisions that guide swift, effective actions.
- Customer Story Pharmacy benefit manager slashes fraud, waste and abuse using artificial intelligencePrime Therapeutics saves its clients $355 million in 18 months with AI-powered SAS Detection and Investigation for Health Care.
- Article Fraud detection and machine learning: What you need to knowMachine learning and fraud analytics are critical components of a fraud detection toolkit. Here’s what you’ll need to get started – from integrating supervised and unsupervised machine learning in operations to maintaining customer service while defending against fraud.
- Customer Story Preventing crime and ensuring compliance at 120 Nordic banksSDC enables small and medium financial institutions in four Nordic countries to stay compliant.
Government Procurement Offices
Find better ways to address fraud, waste and abuse – and respond more effectively to budget cuts – by using SAS to help you achieve new levels of fiscal responsibility.
- Article When it matters: Safeguarding your organization from the insideWith evolving threats, fraud detection technologies have to be flexible and nimble, and automated risk detection is a crucial component of decision advantage.
Managing the Intelligence Life Cycle
Because terrorists and other criminals are already using technology to carry out their missions, intelligence professionals need to access all available, appropriate information, to extract important elements and process, analyze and disseminate it quickly to keep ahead of potential threats.
Managing Fraud Risk in the Digital Age
The rise of mobile and online transactions introduces new fraud risks. Retailers and payment processors must adapt their anti-fraud defenses, augmenting them with stronger, analytics-driven authentication, proactive detection and mitigation tools.
Using Analytics to Proactively Deter Insider Threats
Explore the risk of insider threats within government agencies and discuss why a hybrid analytical approach is critical to protecting agencies against such threats.
Data, analytics and machine learning: The new frontier of fraud prevention
The Economist explores how global financial institutions are using advanced technologies such as machine learning to support fraud and security intelligence.
How AI and Machine Learning Are Redefining Anti-Money Laundering
Machine learning can play a big role in the defense against money laundering, either to automate tasks that formerly required human intervention, such as managing the data to train models, or detect more financial crimes risk that rules and more basic analytic techniques might miss.
What's Next in Local Government?
A special report from Government Executive’s Route Fifty and the International City/County Management Association (ICMA), features the rising stars and big ideas advancing local government now and in the future.
Detect and Prevent Identity Theft
The explosion in e-commerce and online account opening has created new convenience and choice for consumers. At the same time, large-scale data breaches have created new opportunities for fraudsters, fueling an 8-percent increase in identity theft in a single year. Find out how to fight back, without hindering your good customers.
- Customer Story Thai bank safeguards customers while managing fraud detection in real timeKrungsri Consumer uses SAS® Fraud Management to find fraud faster and reduce revenue losses.
- Article Strengthen your payment fraud defenses with stronger authenticationThe rapid growth of digital wallets and payment applications has ushered in new payment fraud threats to consumers and organizations. Find out how the use of innovative technologies to combat payment fraud is a viable and effective solution with additional benefits.
- Article Health care cost containment through big data analyticsTaking an enterprise approach to payment integrity – one that combines advanced data management and sophisticated analytics – can help payers detect and prevent fraud; effect positive change in how providers, employees and patients behave; and substantially reduce health care costs.
- Customer Story Cracking down on insurance claims fraudSBM sees fraud-detection rates improve fivefold with SAS Detection and Investigation for Insurance, enabling insurers to save millions of dollars.
- Article Managing fraud risk: 10 trends you need to watchSynthetic identities, credit washing and income misrepresentation – these are just some of the trends to watch if you’re trying to understand how to manage fraud risk. Find out what’s on the top 10 list of trends according to experts like Frank McKenna and Mary Ann Miller.
- Article Online fraud: Increased threats in a real-time worldOnline and mobile banking is convenient for customers -- and an opportunity for fraudsters. With fraud methods constantly evolving, an analytical approach is a must for banks seeking early, accurate detection.
- Article Detect and prevent banking application fraudSince credit fraud often starts with a falsified application, it makes sense to have analytics-driven tools in place to detect fraud from the earliest point and across the life of the account.
- Article How AI and advanced analytics are impacting the financial services industryTop SAS experts weigh in on the topics that are keeping institutions up at night and fraudsters in a job.
- White Paper Operationalizing Analytics for Intelligent Fraud Detection and Case ManagementAs fraudsters scale up, prevention becomes more challenging. To discuss how advanced analytics helps prevent fraud, IIA spoke with Gordon Robinson, Director, Fraud and Security Intelligence at SAS.
- Series A modern cybersecurity strategy: Building a cybersecurity planThe main considerations of a foundational component of a cyber strategy: the cybersecurity plan.
- White Paper When Seconds Count: How Security Analytics Improves Cybersecurity DefensesLearn about successes and roadblocks in the effort to improve cybersecurity defense in this report, which discusses the findings of a Ponemon Institute research study to determine the experience of adopting security analytics as part of an organization's cybersecurity strategy and the impact to security postures.
- Article Analytics: A must-have tool for leading the fight on prescription and illicit drug addictionStates and MFCUs now have the analytics tools they need to change the trajectory of the opioid crisis by analyzing data and predicting trouble spots – whether in patients, prescribers, distributors or manufacturers. The OIG Toolkit with free SAS® programming code makes that possible.
The State of Insurance Fraud Technology
For the third consecutive time in six years, insurers report increasing amounts of suspected fraud. Nearly three-quarters of insurers in the 2018 survey say fraud has increased, an 11-point increase since 2014. The expansion in anti-fraud technology does have growth pains, however. Insurers report increased frustration with integrating data into their systems and continuing problems with high levels of false positives.
Leveraging Analytics to Combat Digital Fraud in Financial Organizations
International Institute for Analytics summarizes key questions and answers about financial fraud in the digital age.
- White Paper Fighting Money Laundering with Intelligent AutomationThe world of money laundering and other financial crimes is changing rapidly. This International Institute for Analytics research brief shows how fraudsters and money launderers keep getting more sophisticated.
- Article Next generation anti-money laundering: robotics, semantic analysis and AIAnti-money laundering taken to its next level is sometimes referred to as AML 2.0 or AML 3.0. What does this next wave of AML technology look like? What can it do that you can’t do with traditional AML? See the results innovative financial institutions around the globe are already getting.
- Article Uncover hidden financial crime riskEscalating threats call for a financial crime risk framework that uses powerful, visual, interactive techniques to proactively identify hidden risks.
- Article The state of insurance fraud technologyA 2019 Coalition Against Insurance Fraud study surveyed 84 companies on their use of anti-fraud technologies and compared results to 2014 and 2016. Get the highlights here.
Analytics to Fight Tax Fraud
This discussion summary from the International Institute for Analytics featuring SAS explores the challenges, opportunities and value of tax fraud analytics.
- White Paper Payments Without BordersMitigating fraud risks in cashless payments by holistically understanding your customers across all channels.
Stronger Cybersecurity Starts with Data Management
Cybersecurity professionals are changing their focus from prevention to detection. This paper describes how security analytics and proper data management help organizations quickly identify and investigate abnormal network behavior.
Using Modern Analytics to Save Government Programs Millions
Next-generation analytic tools from SAS cut across data and program silos and empower investigators to go on the offensive with fraud operators – without disrupting the efficient and timely delivery of benefits, services or tax refunds.
- White Paper Top Trends: Why Tax Administrators Are Adopting New Data and Analytics StrategiesDespite best efforts, governments lose several trillion dollars annually to the economic crimes of tax evasion and noncompliance. Learn about the top five trends shaping the future for tax administrators.
Achieving Program Integrity for Health Care Cost Containment Operations
Lear how taking an enterprise approach to payment integrity – one that combines advanced data management and sophisticated analytics – can help payers detect and prevent fraud; effect positive change in how providers, employees and patients behave; and substantially reduce health care costs.
- Article Shut the front door on insurance application fraud!Fraudsters love the ease of plying their trade over digital channels. Smart insurance companies are using data from those channels (device fingerprint, IP address, geolocation, etc.) coupled with analytics and machine learning to detect insurance application fraud perpetrated by agents, customers and fraud rings.
- Customer Story Analytics powers anti-money laundering effortsSAS helps Landsbankinn reduce false positives and streamline investigation.
- Article Know your blind spots in tax fraud preventionWhat can tax agencies do differently today than just a few years ago? Find out where fraud may lurk inside your agency – and the role analytics can play in tax fraud prevention.
- White Paper Rethinking customer due diligenceHelp evaluate your organization's CDD processes and technology relative to current industry risks and regulatory requirements.
- Article Analytics for prescription drug monitoring: How to better identify opioid abusePrescription drug monitoring programs (PDMPs) are a great start in combating abuse of prescription drugs, but they could be doing much more. Better data and analytics can inform better treatment protocols, provider education and policy decisions – and save lives.
Data and Analytics to Combat the Opioid Epidemic
Physicians, patients, policy makers, pharma companies and more must work together to stem the opioid epidemic. But we often don’t have complete data to understand what’s happening and reduce addiction and deaths. This research brief from the International Institute for Analytics and SAS explores how data and predictive analytics can help develop better treatment protocols, both for initial pain and for remediation when patients become dependent on the drugs.