Explore resources related to life science analytics.
Peer-reviewed scientific research
Scientific Publications Featuring SAS
Explore recent publications – highlighting innovative research using SAS software – on a variety of health care and life sciences topics.
Explore more life science analytics e-books, white papers, webinars and more.
To browse resources by type, select an option below.
- Choose resource type
- Analyst Report
- Blog Post
- Book Excerpt
- Case Study
- Customer Story
- Executive Brief
- Fact Sheet
- Industry Overview
- Overview Brochure
- Product Brief
- Solution Brief
- White Paper
- Article The transformational power of evidence-based decision making in health policyState health agencies are under pressure to deliver better health outcomes while minimizing costs. Read how data and analytics are being used to confront our biggest health care challenges head on.
- Customer Story Providing the best medical care via analyticsCrouse Hospital improves patient outcomes with data-driven approach.
- Customer Story Advancing mental health care with predictive analyticsCanada’s Centre for Addiction and Mental Health uses SAS Analytics to improve care and streamline hospital operations.
- Article Saving lives during a global pandemic through medical resource optimizationCleveland Clinic is operationalizing analytics to combat COVID-19, creating innovative models that help forecast patient volume, bed capacity, medical equipment availability and more.
- Customer Story A data-driven approach to whole person careRiverside County relies on data integration and analytics from SAS to improve the health and well-being of vulnerable Californians.
- Customer Story Knowing the who, informs the whatThe New Zealand Ministry of Health established the Virtual Data Registry to more accurately identify diabetes sufferers and citizens likely to contract diabetes. They'll use the database to inform policy and spending decisions that will ensure better care for those patients.
- Article Analytics startup focuses on health care optimizationAnalyzing vast amounts of data is key to optimizing health care outcomes, improving patient satisfaction and lowering total costs.
- Customer Story Automated laboratories improve uptime with analyticsPredictive service and maintenance keeps Siemens Healthineers lab tests running on time.
- Customer Story Maximizing the reach and impact of an eHealth hubMedical research facility Black Dog Institute partners with SAS to support health care workers’ mental well-being during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Customer Story A healthier planet through bioscience innovationThe world’s most sustainable biotech company, Chr. Hansen, uses SAS Analytics to develop effective, natural probiotics for animal health, enabling farmers to produce high-quality, safe food for global consumers.
- Article Health care cost containment through big data analyticsHealth insurers are plagued by fraud, waste and abuse. For health care cost containment, an enterprise approach to payment integrity using data management and analytics can help. With this approach, payers can detect and prevent fraud; influence provider, employee and patient behavior; and substantially reduce costs.
- Customer Story Italy’s second-largest hospital uses advanced analytics for effective pandemic responseGemelli University Hospital uses SAS solutions to predict admissions of patients in the intensive care units and impacts on the organization, from staffing hospital wards to effectively scheduling and managing COVID-19 vaccine administration.
- Customer Story Predictive analytics helps save lives during COVID-19 pandemicFPS Public Health uses SAS to forecast hospital bed occupancy, predict infection rates and ensure sufficient medical staffing during global health crisis.
- Article Public health infrastructure desperately needs modernizationPublic health agencies must flex to longitudinal health crises and acute emergencies – from natural disasters like hurricanes to events like a pandemic. To be prepared, public health infrastructure must be modernized to support connectivity, real-time data exchanges, analytics and visualization.
- Article How researchers are fighting cancer with analyticsThanks partly to analytics, cancer survival rates are higher, treatments are more personalized and cancer research continues to expand.
- Customer Story Artificial intelligence yields breakthrough innovation in crop scienceBoragen partners with SAS to fight plant disease, protect crops and boost agricultural production sustainably.
- White Paper Institutionalizing Real-World EvidenceSee the seven key components life sciences organizations must have in place to provide structure to the quest for real-world evidence – and four ways to take it to the next level.
- White Paper Empowering Life Sciences With Secure, Accessible InformationTo adapt to regulatory and market pressures, life sciences companies must redefine the way they manage essential data assets. The desired state parallels the hub-and-spoke model, with the centralized information repository being the hub and various users and uses of that information being the spokes. This white paper describes five keys to achieving this model, and the benefits it delivers.
- White Paper End-to-End Management of Clinical Trials DataThis white paper discusses how bringing together granular, well-documented clinical data will lead to shorter trials, improve the modeling of new trials before a therapy is tested on a patient, and lead to higher-quality drug submissions to authorities.
- White Paper The Road to Value-Based Health CareThis paper describes the transformative tools that use advanced analytics to help health care organizations balance the goals of cost reduction and quality improvement through analysis of episodes of care.
- White Paper Optimize Your Launch Sequence StrategiesThis white paper explores how the SAS® solution for launch revenue optimization enables global pricing teams to simulate and optimize launch timing and pricing decisions based on the predicted effect on global revenue.
- White Paper Using Modern Analytics to Save Government Programs MillionsNext-generation analytic tools from SAS cut across data and program silos and empower investigators to go on the offensive with fraud operators – without disrupting the efficient and timely delivery of benefits, services or tax refunds.
- White Paper How Public Sector Agencies Can Use Analytics to Lead Through CrisisWhen public service leaders need to make vital decisions quickly – to guide people through a crisis and save lives – data analytics is essential.
- White Paper Understanding Data Streams in IoTThis paper explains how streaming analytics helps you acquire, understand and use real-time, streaming data to make fact-based, automated decisions – and instantaneously react to new information.
- Executive Brief Analytics for Medical Resource OptimizationThis summary paper of a 2020 global HIMSS survey, in partnership with SAS, asked health care organizations to rate their current use of analytics, as well as their future implementation plans.
- E-Book What's Next for Life Sciences?The unique challenges of the coronavirus pandemic forced life sciences companies to respond to change more rapidly than ever before. Only the companies that are nimble, innovative and able to act quickly – while maintaining regulatory and scientific standards – will succeed in addressing the immediate needs of the crisis and beyond.
- White Paper Building Data-Driven Supply-Chain Resilience for 2020 - and BeyondThis paper explores the many ways implementing next-generation best practices and technologies can improve supply chain performance today and tomorrow.
- E-Book Powering Health Innovation with AIThere is no doubt: AI has the potential to transform health care. The most recent SAS Hackathon showcased how the transformative power of analytics can spark health care innovation. The Hackathon was entirely conducted on a Microsoft Azure cloud infrastructure to facilitate the agile analysis and visualization of big data.
- White Paper Fighting the Rising Tide of Medicaid FraudMedicaid fraud has jumped dramatically in the era of COVID, as increasing complexity of delivery and payment models, along with increased funding, has created openings for fraudsters, including organized crime.
- White Paper Decentralized clinical trials: From evolution to revolutionExplore the evolution of innovation in clinical research in recent years, including the challenges sponsors face adopting new approaches and the positive impact of modernization and decentralized trials.
- White Paper Industry Overview The Speed of Digital Disruption: Sustaining Transformation in Health Care and Life SciencesAn expert study investigating the challenges, successes and hopeful future state of the health care and life sciences industry.
- White Paper Modernizing Healthcare Analytics on the Cloud: Experiences from the Front LinesDramatic changes in the health care industry over the past decade have ratcheted up the demand for big data analytics while simultaneously highlighting the information risks associated with data protection and the benefits of utilizing advanced analytics to improve health outcomes, equity and quality. Many organizations are turning to cloud computing to modernize their analytics life cycle, yet sometimes they face unexpected roadblocks along the way.
- White Paper An Inflection Point for OpioidsData and analytics are crucial as governments confront the evolving drug crisis.
- E-Book What’s the new normal in health care?Even before the COVID-19 crisis, health care was changing. But the urgency of the pandemic accelerated change in health care delivery, resource optimization, data-driven thinking and decision making, and much more.
- Article Are you covering who you think you’re covering? Payers often don't focus enough on healthcare beneficiary fraud in public and private healthcare plans. Before paying a claim, payers need to ensure beneficiaries are eligible. Advanced analytics applied to a broad range of data can help them accurately detect and prevent beneficiary fraud.
- White Paper Behavioral Health in the Health Care IT EcosystemThe imperative to advance infrastructure and analytics to move toward whole-person care
- White Paper An Analytic PrescriptionAt the May 2014 SAS Health Analytics Executive Conference, industry leaders from Dignity Health, Highmark Health, Eli Lilly Company, and SAS shared what they have done to prove the value of analytics to their business leaders and develop an analytic culture in their organizations.
- Article Situational awareness guides our responses – routine to crisisMany circumstances call for situational awareness – that is, being mindful of what’s present and happening around you. The COVID-19 pandemic heightened this need, as leaders across industries used analytics and visualization to gain real-time situational awareness and respond with fast, critical decisions.
- Article How health care leaders deployed analytics when crisis hitDuring the COVID-19 pandemic, some health care providers were well-positioned to respond to rapid changes in demand. The factor that most distinguished them was that they already had a strong capacity in place for using data to inform decisions. Read about three key takeaways from their experiences.
- Article Will health care be fundamentally changed post-COVID-19?Many market forces are supporting the transformation to virtual digital health programs -- the COVID-19 pandemic is just the latest compelling event.
- White Paper Achieving program integrity for health care cost containmentLearn how taking an enterprise approach to payment integrity – one that combines advanced data management and sophisticated analytics – can help payers detect and prevent fraud; effect positive change in how providers, employees and patients behave; and substantially reduce health care costs.
- E-Book Innovation driven by strategyFrom curing diseases to studying the sun, innovative uses of analytics are changing the world. Download this e-book to see where tomorrow’s technologies are happening today. You’ll find out how analytics technologies are being used for cybersecurity, machine learning, the Internet of Things and more. If you’re looking for inspiration, see where this e-book takes you.
- Webinar Why Clinical Trial Enrollment Simulation Is Critical to the Success of Your TrialThis webinar, part of our Analytics in 20 series, explores how life sciences companies can use analytics to make more strategic enrollment decisions
- Customer Story Transforming mental health care in California, turning data into insight California's Mental Health Services Oversight and Accountability Commission uses analytics and data management to better serve residents and increase community well-being.
- Customer Story Improving data collection and modeling to accelerate predictive medicine effortsDompé farmaceutici uses SAS for predictive analytics and quantitative disease modeling.
- Customer Story Advanced analytics in the cloud helps international biopharmaceutical group enhance operations and efficiencyChiesi Group uses SAS Viya on SAS Cloud hosted on Microsoft Azure to analyze information in a collaborative platform, streamline processes and efficiently deliver trial results to regulatory authorities.
- Customer Story Hospitals save time and money with real-time medical device tracking Jan Yperman Hospital uses Blyott and SAS Visual Analytics on SAS Viya to monitor hospital asset locations and ensure optimal purchasing decisions.
- Article Finding COVID-19 answers with data and analyticsLearn how data plays a role in optimizing hospital resources, understanding disease spread, supply chain forecasting and scientific discoveries.
- Article Stopping the Zika virus: The potential of big data, analyticsHow do you stop global outbreaks? The answer may be in the data about the disease and how it spreads.
- Customer Story Optimizing cancer patient care with advanced analyticsSAS Viya helps create custom care pathways for Oscar Lambret Center cancer patients.
- Customer Story Automated safety reporting protects hospital patients in NorwayHelse Nord uses SAS to automate its hospitals’ processes and halves their workload.
- Article Can data sharing lead to cancer discoveries?Clinical trials can bring new drugs – and new hope – to the market for cancer patients. Now, a new data sharing platform for clinical trial data brings even more hope.
- Article Analytics: A must-have tool for leading the fight on prescription and illicit drug addictionStates and MFCUs now have the analytics tools they need to change the trajectory of the opioid crisis by analyzing data and predicting trouble spots – whether in patients, prescribers, distributors or manufacturers. The OIG Toolkit with free SAS® programming code makes that possible.