RISK MANAGEMENT INSIGHTS
Better risk management for competitive advantage
Recent risk management articles
- Risk data infrastructure: Staying afloat on the regulatory floodWhat are the challenges of a risk data infrastructure and how can they be addressed? Here's what you need to know to build an effective enterprise risk and finance reporting warehouse that will effectively address compliance requirements.
- Are you good at scoring?Credit scoring is the foundation for evaluating clients who apply for a loan (or other types of exposure for the bank). It is not unusual for it to take up to 12 months to build and deploy a new credit scoring model. Reforming the process will help minimize losses, increase earnings and reduce operational risk.
- Understanding capital requirements in light of Basel IVMany financial firms are already using a popular 2012 PIT-ness methodology for internal ratings-based models. This article examines eight ways the industry is successfully using the methodology – and why this approach can bring synergies for banks, value for regulators, and major competitive advantages.
- IFRS 9 and CECL: The challenges of loss accounting standardsThe loss accounting standards, CECL and IFRS 9, change how credit losses are recognized and reported by financial institutions. Although there are key differences in the standards for CECL (US) and IFRS 9 (international), both require a more forward-looking approach to credit loss estimation.
- CECL: Are US banks and credit unions ready?CECL, current expected credit loss, is an accounting standard that requires US banking institutions and credit unions to estimate life-of-loan losses at origination or purchase.
- IFRS 17의 도래 – 무엇이 변하는가?IFRS 17은 단순한 새로운 회계 기준이 아닙니다. 궁극적인 목표는 보험 사업에 투명성과 통찰력을 요구하는 동시에 기업의 장단점을 파악하는데 있습니다. 장기 목표를 달성하고, IFRS 17에 따른 개선안을 넘어 더 나아가 광범위한 비즈니스 가치를 달성하는 방법을 알아보십시오.
- Understanding capital requirementsCredit risk classification systems have been in use for a long time, and with the advent of Basel II, those systems became the basis for banks’ capital adequacy calculations. What is needed going forward is an efficient and honest dialogue between regulators and investors on capitalization.
- IFRS 17 : 방치는 해답이 아닙니다.IFRS 17은 보험 계약의 미래 지향적 평가를 위한 원칙을 중요하게 여기는 회계 기준입니다. 재무 투명성을 높이기 위해 설계된 IFRS 17은 보험사에게 보험 및 재보험 계약이 재무 및 위험에 미치는 영향에 대해 더 자세히 보고하도록 요구합니다.
- 시나리오 스트레스 테스트 : 규제 준수 이상의 사안.시나리오 스트레스 테스트는 은행에 다각도의 조건과 심각도 수준을 활용해, 금융 위기 대응 시뮬레이션을 진행 할 수있는 방법을 제공합니다.
- 분석이 가능한 CRO와 위험을 인식하는 CFO.리스크를 사전 조치하는 기업 문화를 형성하기 위해, CRO의 가장 중요한 협력 관계는 CFO 및 재무 팀입니다. 예산 편성 및 감독을 담당하는 임원인 CFO와 CRO는 경쟁 목표에 휘말리는 경향이 다소 있습니다.
- General Data Protection Regulation: From burden to opportunityThe General Data Protection Regulation stirs up mixed emotions, but Kalliopi Spyridaki shows how to use the new legislation for business advantage.
- frtb: a wait and see strategy could be riskyFRTB, fundamental review of the trading book, is a regulation that changes how banks analyze market risk in the trading book to address systemic challenges.
- IFRS 17 and Solvency II: Insurance regulation meets insurance accounting standardsIFRS and Solvency II encourage comparability and transparency from a regulatory and accounting perspective for insurers, but there are important differences.
- Credit risk management is the answerLending and loan volume is back up to pre-crisis levels. But banks are facing higher delinquencies as well. That's why improving credit risk management is crucial.
- New attitudes for liquidity risk managementRecent liquidity risk shocks and regulatory pressures have highlighted the need for agile liquidity risk management and planning systems. To manage liquidity risk more strategically, banks will need the right strategy, solution architecture and IT systems – plus governance to manage the process.
- Model risk management: Vital to regulatory and business sustainabilitySloppy model risk management can lead to failure to gain regulatory approval for capital plans, financial loss, damage to a bank's reputation and loss of shareholder value. Learn how to improve model risk management by establishing controls and guidelines to measure and address model risk at every stage of the life cycle.
- Should banks adopt regulations as best practices?The regulatory tsunami isn't letting up, but is there value to be gained in adopting, for instance, BCBS 239 principles?
- Retail cyber risk toleranceManage your data assets just as you would any of your physical assets by putting security plans in place for any and all contingencies.
- Risk data aggregation: Transparency, controls and governance are needed for data quality and reportingFinancial institutions’ data aggregation and reporting techniques and systems are receiving increased attention both internally and externally. Find out how to take a comprehensive approach to BCBS principles and risk data aggregation and management.
- IFRS 9 impairment regulation: How to prepare for the data tsunamiBanks will have to update ECL amounts at each reporting date for credit risk changes, significantly increasing impairment calculations and data collection.
Send SAS Insights straight to your inbox