Accelerate digital transformation and discover new insights from your data with tailored health analytic solutions.
Visualize and analyze cohort data.
SAS Health: Cohort Builder provides an interactive, drag-and-drop interface for querying and building cohorts with temporal relationships – no coding required. You can easily explore cohort characteristics and the effect of inclusion/exclusion criteria on patient populations to determine study feasibility. You can save cohort definitions for reuse, modify them and apply them to other real world data assets for comparisons across populations, which saves time and resources. Validate results and do further analysis using in-memory analysis and visualization in SAS or other technologies (e.g., R, Python and third-party visualization tools).
Quickly assemble clinical/chronic events.
SAS Health: Episode Builder puts the power to see – and edit – episode definitions in your hands. SAS applies fully documented logic to create episodes of care, and the logical business rules are transparent and auditable at any time. Instead of spending weeks to manually code events, your team can now focus on communicating results to analysts and clinicians.
Visualize trends in health data to compare outcomes and cost.
Interactive cohort and episode builders provide easy-to-use, point-and-click interfaces. This makes it easy to identify population subsets, clinical events and associations so you can better understand the differences in health outcomes within a provider network, clinical research or in the general population. Combined with embedded machine learning and AI, these capabilities deliver enhanced insights that you can align with your organizational strategy.
Efficiently consume and standardize clinical data.
SAS Health: Data Mapper creates libraries of verified data maps that transform data from source entities into standard formats that meet clinical and regulatory standards. The mappings are available for repeatable transformations, improving efficiency and accuracy.
Efficiently adjust for risk and severity in population health or claims data.
SAS Health: Episode Builder facilitates risk adjustment through repeatable and transparent processes. Built-in models help analytic leaders understand population-level cost drivers, comorbidities and expected outcomes for specific episodes of care. Financial analysis supports risk management professionals, as well as clinicians who want to optimize treatment pathways.
Achieve breakthrough success wherever you are on your analytic journey.
Deploy model results, such as clinical propensities or risk scores, into operational systems for faster insights delivered at the point of decision – and a greater ROI. Ready to expand your analytic journey? Easily add unstructured and streaming data to your structured data using prebuilt capabilities. You can also add text analytics, computer vision and natural language processing to your predictive models. With the power and flexibility of SAS, you can establish a foundation for repeatable, industry-specific applications and innovative AI solutions that help you successfully navigate change in the market.
Simplify your health data landscape and expand your analytical horizons. Integrate real-world data. Rapidly create patient cohorts. Detect and visualize clinical events. Gain valuable insights on quality and cost of care. Drive enhanced patient outcomes and improved clinician experience.
Explore More on SAS® Health and Beyond
To browse resources by type, select an option below.
- Select Resource Type
- Analyst Report
- White Paper
- White Paper
- Blog Post
- Book Excerpt
- Case Study
- Customer Story
- Customer Story Strengthening the fight against antimicrobial resistance via data visualizationGlobal in vitro diagnostics leader bioMérieux, Inc. uses SAS Viya to revolutionize antimicrobial stewardship and empower informed clinical decision making.
- Customer Story SAS Viya and open source: Innovation through collaborationHealth insurer Techniker Krankenkasse works with SAS to build innovative pattern recognition capabilities.
- Customer Story Italy’s second-largest hospital uses advanced analytics for effective pandemic responseGemelli University Hospital uses SAS solutions to predict admissions of patients in the intensive care units and impacts on the organization, from staffing hospital wards to effectively scheduling and managing COVID-19 vaccine administration.
- Customer Story A healthier planet through bioscience innovationThe world’s most sustainable biotech company, Chr. Hansen, uses SAS Analytics to develop effective, natural probiotics for animal health, enabling farmers to produce high-quality, safe food for global consumers.
- Article Public health infrastructure desperately needs modernizationPublic health agencies must flex to longitudinal health crises and acute emergencies – from natural disasters like hurricanes to events like a pandemic. To be prepared, public health infrastructure must be modernized to support connectivity, real-time data exchanges, analytics and visualization.
- Customer Story Maximizing the reach and impact of an eHealth hubMedical research facility Black Dog Institute partners with SAS to support health care workers’ mental well-being during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Customer Story Predictive analytics helps save lives during COVID-19 pandemicFPS Public Health uses SAS to forecast hospital bed occupancy, predict infection rates and ensure sufficient medical staffing during global health crisis.
- Analyst Report Aite Matrix: Payment Integrity In HealthcareAccording to this 2021 report on healthcare payment integrity from Aite, SAS' stability as a vendor, its brand recognition and its desirable product features outpace those of its peers.
- Customer Story Artificial intelligence yields breakthrough innovation in crop scienceBoragen partners with SAS to fight plant disease, protect crops and boost agricultural production sustainably.
- Customer Story Transforming mental health care in California, turning data into insight California's Mental Health Services Oversight and Accountability Commission uses analytics and data management to better serve residents and increase community well-being.
- Customer Story Community outreach and support for COPD patients enhanced through natural language processing and machine learningText analytics and sentiment analysis from SAS help the COPD Foundation provide health resources and emotional support for patients and caregivers.
- Customer Story A data-driven approach to whole person careRiverside County relies on data integration and analytics from SAS to improve the health and well-being of vulnerable Californians.
- Article Finding COVID-19 answers with data and analyticsLearn how data plays a role in optimizing hospital resources, understanding disease spread, supply chain forecasting and scientific discoveries.
- Article How health care leaders deployed analytics when crisis hitDuring the COVID-19 pandemic, some health care providers were well-positioned to respond to rapid changes in demand. The factor that most distinguished them was that they already had a strong capacity in place for using data to inform decisions. Read about three key takeaways from their experiences.
- Article Situational awareness guides our responses – routine to crisisMany circumstances call for situational awareness – that is, being mindful of what’s present and happening around you. The COVID-19 pandemic heightened this need, as leaders across industries used analytics and visualization to gain real-time situational awareness and respond with fast, critical decisions.
- Customer Story Ensuring mental health patient safety during a global pandemicSAS delivers dashboard to monitor COVID-19 in the Copenhagen Regional Psychiatric Centers.
- Customer Story Pharmacy benefit manager slashes fraud, waste and abuse using artificial intelligencePrime Therapeutics saves its clients $355 million in 18 months with AI-powered SAS Detection and Investigation for Health Care.
- Article Saving lives during a global pandemic through medical resource optimizationCleveland Clinic is operationalizing analytics to combat COVID-19, creating innovative models that help forecast patient volume, bed capacity, medical equipment availability and more.
- Article Will health care be fundamentally changed post-COVID-19?Many market forces are supporting the transformation to virtual digital health programs -- the COVID-19 pandemic is just the latest compelling event.
- Article Jump-start COVID-19 research with text analytics Applying text analytics and AI to discover trends and commonalities among COVID-19 research documents can lead to new insights about the disease and help answer many unanswered questions.
- Customer Story Advancing mental health care with predictive analyticsCanada’s Centre for Addiction and Mental Health uses SAS Analytics to improve care and streamline hospital operations.
- Article Analytics leads to lifesaving cancer therapiesA long-shot treatment offers hope to 10-year-old Harrison after he learns the DNA profile of his cancer is resistant to chemo. Find out how data and analytics play a role in cancer research and cancer treatments that are saving lives.
- Customer Story Reducing hospital-acquired infections with artificial intelligence Hospitals in the Region of Southern Denmark aim to increase patient safety using analytics and AI solutions from SAS.
- Article The transformational power of evidence-based decision making in health policyState health agencies are under pressure to deliver better health outcomes while minimizing costs. Read how data and analytics are being used to confront our biggest health care challenges head on.
- Customer Story Cancer treatment enters a new era with artificial intelligenceAmsterdam UMC uses analytics and AI solutions from SAS to increase speed and accuracy of tumor evaluations.
- Customer Story Datagedreven aanpak bij Treant Zorggroep draagt bij aan duurzame verbetering van de zorgDatagedreven aanpak bij Treant Zorggroep draagt bij aan duurzame verbetering van de zorg en geeft huisartsen meer inzicht.
- Customer Story Health breakthroughs driven by DNA analysisCommunity-based genetics study uses SAS machine learning and artificial intelligence to improve population health in Nevada.
- Customer Story Automated laboratories improve uptime with analyticsPredictive service and maintenance keeps Siemens Healthineers lab tests running on time.
- Customer Story Providing the best medical care via analyticsCrouse Hospital improves patient outcomes with data-driven approach.
- Article IoT in health care: Unlocking true, value-based careGiven the potential of IoT – and the challenges of already overburdened health care systems around the world – we can’t afford not to integrate IoT in health care.
- White Paper Understanding Data Streams in IoTThis paper explains how streaming analytics helps you acquire, understand and use real-time, streaming data to make fact-based, automated decisions – and instantaneously react to new information.
- Article Analytics: A must-have tool for leading the fight on prescription and illicit drug addictionStates and MFCUs now have the analytics tools they need to change the trajectory of the opioid crisis by analyzing data and predicting trouble spots – whether in patients, prescribers, distributors or manufacturers. The OIG Toolkit with free SAS® programming code makes that possible.
- White Paper Fighting Insurance Application Fraud Learn about the advantages of using analytics-driven methods for authenticating applicants to reveal customer gaming, agent gaming and potential future claims fraud.
- White Paper IIA-Research_SAS-Medicaid-Fraud_1Medicaid fraud is prevalent, costly and difficult to prevent. With a combination of more integrated data and advanced analytics, state agencies can turn the tables on fraudsters. They can accelerate the transition from detection to prevention, as new forms of fraud are recognized faster and fewer improper payments go out the door.
- White Paper Using Modern Analytics to Save Government Programs MillionsNext-generation analytic tools from SAS cut across data and program silos and empower investigators to go on the offensive with fraud operators – without disrupting the efficient and timely delivery of benefits, services or tax refunds.
- E-Book What’s the new normal in health care?Even before the COVID-19 crisis, health care was changing. But the urgency of the pandemic accelerated change in health care delivery, resource optimization, data-driven thinking and decision making, and much more.
- White Paper Artificial Intelligence for ExecutivesThis paper outlines the SAS approach to AI and explains key concepts. It also provides process and implementation tips if you are considering adding AI technologies to your business and analytical strategies.
- Article Analytics startup focuses on health care optimizationAnalyzing vast amounts of data is key to optimizing health care outcomes, improving patient satisfaction and lowering total costs.
- White Paper Behavioral Health in the Health Care IT EcosystemThe imperative to advance infrastructure and analytics to move toward whole-person care
- White Paper Behavioral Health in the Health Care IT EcosystemBehavioral health providers face financial, cultural and policy challenges when trying to adopt healthcare IT. Learn what’s being done to change that and improve whole-person care through behavioral health data.
- White Paper Text Analytics for ExecutivesThis paper looks at how organizations in banking, health care and life sciences, manufacturing and government are using SAS text analytics to drive better customer experiences, reduce fraud and improve society.
- E-Book Making Sense of AIThis e-book explores the current boundaries of AI, as well as the many ways that modern AI applications can improve our understanding of the world and enable us to make better, faster decisions.
- Article Using analytics to prevent deadly infections Dignity Health’s Bio-Surveillance Program predicts new sepsis cases, allowing early intervention and saving lives.
- Article Health care cost containment through big data analyticsHealth insurers are plagued by fraud, waste and abuse. For health care cost containment, an enterprise approach to payment integrity using data management and analytics can help. With this approach, payers can detect and prevent fraud; influence provider, employee and patient behavior; and substantially reduce costs.
- White Paper Achieving Program Integrity for Health Care Cost Containment OperationsLear how taking an enterprise approach to payment integrity – one that combines advanced data management and sophisticated analytics – can help payers detect and prevent fraud; effect positive change in how providers, employees and patients behave; and substantially reduce health care costs.
- White Paper Institutionalizing Real-World EvidenceSee the seven key components life sciences organizations must have in place to provide structure to the quest for real-world evidence – and four ways to take it to the next level.
- White Paper Making Real-World Evidence Real Learn about the technology foundation for creating real world evidence to show the value of medical treatments in large target populations and real world conditions.
- Article Detecting health care claims fraudHealth care claims fraud could represent as much as 10 percent of total claims cost. Learn how to fight back with analytics.
- Article Can data sharing lead to cancer discoveries?Clinical trials can bring new drugs – and new hope – to the market for cancer patients. Now, a new data sharing platform for clinical trial data brings even more hope.
- Article Analytics for prescription drug monitoring: How to better identify opioid abusePrescription drug monitoring programs (PDMPs) are a great start in combating abuse of prescription drugs, but they could be doing much more. Better data and analytics can inform better treatment protocols, provider education and policy decisions – and save lives.
- E-Book White Paper Innovation driven by strategyFrom curing diseases to studying the sun, innovative uses of analytics are changing the world. Download this e-book to see where tomorrow’s technologies are happening today. You’ll find out how analytics technologies are being used for cybersecurity, machine learning, the Internet of Things and more. If you’re looking for inspiration, see where this e-book takes you.
- White Paper The Evolution of AnalyticsLearn about modern applications for machine learning, including recommendation systems, streaming analytics, deep learning and cognitive computing. And learn from the experiences of two companies that have successfully navigated organizational and technological challenges to adopt machine learning and embark on their own analytics evolution.
- Article Analytics. Fighting cancer for more than 40 years. Thanks partly to analytics, cancer survival rates are higher, treatments are more personalized and cancer research continues to expand.
- Article Stopping the Zika virus: The potential of big data, analyticsHow do you stop global outbreaks? The answer may be in the data about the disease and how it spreads.
- White Paper Optimize Your Launch Sequence StrategiesThis white paper explores how the SAS® solution for launch revenue optimization enables global pricing teams to simulate and optimize launch timing and pricing decisions based on the predicted effect on global revenue.
- White Paper Data Driven: The Analytics Journey in Health Care and Life SciencesThis conclusions paper summarizes a panel discussion at the May 2015 SAS Health Analytics Executive Conference, where seasoned analytic veterans shared what has worked (and not worked) as they developed an analytic culture in their organizations.
- Article Why you should care about episode analyticsThe future of value-based health care requires a better understanding of how patients are treated for thousands of conditions. Only episode analytics can uncover the insights payers and providers need.
- Article Big data in health careThere's enormous potential for big data in health care: Individualized medical treatment, improved processes, reduced waste and so much more. See how three health care organizations are leading the way.
- White Paper How To Use Analytics to Create Health Care Value: An Executive Primer US health care reform has digitized health care. Analytics holds promise in creating value from the growing stores of health care data but what are the critical executive considerations for applying analytics strategically? This paper presents how to tap into the great potential to use analytics to fish for insight from your growing data lakes.
- White Paper An Analytic PrescriptionAt the May 2014 SAS Health Analytics Executive Conference, industry leaders from Dignity Health, Highmark Health, Eli Lilly Company, and SAS shared what they have done to prove the value of analytics to their business leaders and develop an analytic culture in their organizations.
- White Paper The Road to Value-Based Health CareThis paper describes the transformative tools that use advanced analytics to help health care organizations balance the goals of cost reduction and quality improvement through analysis of episodes of care.
- White Paper Deploying an Analytics Foundation for Clinical ResearchLife sciences companies can use advanced analytics to harness their clinical trial data -- and produce insights that lower trial costs and accelerate the revenue potential of new products.
- Article Are you covering who you think you’re covering? How rigorous are you in determining membership eligibility? By some estimates, between 4 and 18 percent of all health plan benefits are paid in error due to eligibility fraud issues.
- White Paper Five Steps to Analytical MaturityLife sciences organizations must rethink the way they currently manage information and what types of analytics they can use. This paper addresses these questions by outlining the analytical journey and the five steps to achieve analytical maturity.
- White Paper Current Perspectives on Risk-Based MonitoringDiscover why you should consider risk-based monitoring, what determines risk and risk levels, and what technology is available for effective risk-based monitoring.
- Article The role for big data in health care’s triple aimIndustry consultant Carolina Wallenius explains the future of health care and the role of analytics.
- Customer Story Knowing the who, informs the whatThe New Zealand Ministry of Health established the Virtual Data Registry to more accurately identify diabetes sufferers and citizens likely to contract diabetes. They'll use the database to inform policy and spending decisions that will ensure better care for those patients.
- E-Book White Paper Data: Managing It to Make the Most of ItThis e-book provides an in-depth look at how health care organizations could use information management to make better use of data – and, in the process, move clinical care forward by having the ability to not only collect information but to make intelligent decisions and care advancements based on true knowledge.
- White Paper Empowering Life Sciences With Secure, Accessible InformationTo adapt to regulatory and market pressures, life sciences companies must redefine the way they manage essential data assets. The desired state parallels the hub-and-spoke model, with the centralized information repository being the hub and various users and uses of that information being the spokes. This white paper describes five keys to achieving this model, and the benefits it delivers.
- Customer Story Can big data analysis increase sales?Upon growing its assets by nearly 40 percent in 2011 compared to 2010, Cigna Indonesia turned to SAS to handle the barrage of big data for better business decisions.
- White Paper End-to-End Management of Clinical Trials DataThis white paper discusses how bringing together granular, well-documented clinical data will lead to shorter trials, improve the modeling of new trials before a therapy is tested on a patient, and lead to higher-quality drug submissions to authorities.
- Customer Story Q&A: Achieving big financial gains - quicklyInsurance companies uses SAS to help business partners generate revenue increases and maintain competitive edge.
- E-Book Powering Health Innovation with AIThere is no doubt: AI has the potential to transform health care. The most recent SAS Hackathon showcased how the transformative power of analytics can spark health care innovation. The Hackathon was entirely conducted on a Microsoft Azure cloud infrastructure to facilitate the agile analysis and visualization of big data.
- White Paper An Exploration of Current and Future Considerations Impacting Awareness and Use of Open Clinical Trial DataExplore the challenges and opportunities sponsoring organizations and researchers face when sharing and utilizing clinical trial data for secondary analysis.
- White Paper How Public Sector Agencies Can Use Analytics to Lead Through CrisisWhen public service leaders need to make vital decisions quickly – to guide people through a crisis and save lives – data analytics is essential.
- White Paper Building Data-Driven Supply-Chain Resilience for 2020 - and BeyondThis paper explores the many ways implementing next-generation best practices and technologies can improve supply chain performance today and tomorrow.
- E-Book What's Next for Life Sciences?The unique challenges of the coronavirus pandemic forced life sciences companies to respond to change more rapidly than ever before. Only the companies that are nimble, innovative and able to act quickly – while maintaining regulatory and scientific standards – will succeed in addressing the immediate needs of the crisis and beyond.
- Webinar Wake-Up Call: Modernizing Public Health PracticesNow is the time to recognize trends and changes in public health and face down challenges by adapting and modernizing
- Customer Story Euramax heeft alles onder controle
- Customer Story Zilveren Kruis verbetert zorgkwaliteit op nationaal niveau door datagedreven aanpak met SASZilveren Kruis verbetert zorgkwaliteit op nationaal niveau door data gedreven aanpak met SAS.
Check out these products and solutions related to SAS® Health.
- Fraud in Healthcare Detection & Investigation SoftwareOur fraud in healthcare detection and investigation software enables you to detect, prevent and manage fraud, waste and abuse at every stage of the claims process. SAS NL
- SAS® Asset Performance AnalyticsHarness M2M and sensor data to boost uptime, performance and productivity while lowering maintenance costs and reducing your risk of revenue loss.