Risk Management Insights
Explore hot topics in risk & fraud
Risk & Fraud
Beyond the very simple definition of risk – the potential for loss – the definition of the word varies widely depending on the industry, and a whole host of other factors. But no matter what business or industry you’re in, it comes down to this: How can you identify and seize opportunities without jeopardizing your organization’s ability to thrive?
Fraud – and financial crime in general – is one of the biggest risks that many organizations face. And there’s a lot of talk about bringing together risk and fraud practices. But regardless of how your organization handles these issues today or in the future, there’s much to consider. Join us as we explore the latest buzz on timely risk and fraud topics.
Latest Insights & Articles
- Next generation anti money laundering: robotics, semantic analysis and AIAnti-money laundering taken to it's next level is sometimes referred to as AML 2.0 or AML 3.0. What does this next wave of AML technology look like? What can it do that you can’t do with traditional AML? See the results innovative financial institutions around the globe are already getting.
- The state of insurance fraud technologyA 2019 Coalition Against Insurance Fraud study surveyed 84 companies on their use of anti-fraud technologies and compared results to 2014 and 2016. Get the highlights here.
- How AI and advanced analytics are impacting the financial services industryTop SAS experts weigh in on the topics that are keeping institutions up at night and fraudsters in a job.
- IFRS 17: Waiting is not an optionIFRS 17 is a principles-based accounting standard for the future-oriented valuation of insurance contracts. Designed to increase financial transparency, IFRS 17 requires insurers to report in more detail on how insurance and reinsurance contracts affect their finances and risk.
- Analytics: A must-have tool for leading the fight on prescription and illicit drug addictionStates and MFCUs now have the analytics tools they need to change the trajectory of the opioid crisis by analyzing data and predicting trouble spots – whether in patients, prescribers, distributors or manufacturers. The OIG Toolkit with free SAS® programming code makes that possible.
- Strengthen your payment fraud defenses with stronger authenticationThe rapid growth of digital wallets and payment applications has ushered in new payment fraud threats to consumers and organizations. Find out how the use of innovative technologies to combat payment fraud is a viable and effective solution with additional benefits.
- Anti-money laundering and counter-terrorist financingTo monitor for financial crimes, an essential element for both anti-money laundering and counter-terrorist financing is using data analysis to detect unusual activity during processing by monitoring transactions, customers and the network of behaviors.
- The analytical CRO and the risk aware CFOTo create a more risk-aware organization, the most important collaborative relationship for the CRO is with the CFO and the finance team. The CFO and CRO – as the executives responsible for budgeting and supervision – tend to get caught in the middle of competing objectives.
- What do drones, AI and proactive policing have in common?Law enforcement and public safety agencies must wrangle diverse data sets to be effective in their operations. Intelligence analysts are using that data to apply machine learning and AI for more proactive policing.
- Fraud detection and machine learning: What you need to knowFrom integrating throughout operations to maintaining customer service, machine learning – supervised and unsupervised – is a critical part of the fraud detection toolkit. Here’s what you’ll need to consider to get started.
- Proactive detection – A new approach to counter terrorTo counter terror, investigative teams can better utilize the data they already have by applying a fresh approach with these steps to proactive detection.
- Top 5 prepaid card fraud scamsThe margin for prepaid cards is slim, so it's particularly important to root out the scams. Here are some tips for combating and mitigating prepaid card fraud.
Credit Risk Management
The credit crunch that followed the global financial crisis put credit risk management practices in the spotlight. And they are about to take on an even more prominent role as banks brace for the impact of the new Basel III regulations, which will impose higher capital costs for credit risk.
Even though credit risk management has always been an essential bank function, better credit risk management is essential – and not just for compliance purposes. Learn more about how managing credit risk presents a huge opportunity for improving a bank’s overall performance.
Once upon a time, liquidity risk management got little more than lip service from banks. But the global financial crisis changed all that by exposing liquidity risk as the industry’s Achilles’ heel. Today, liquidity risk has become a daily part of the banking lexicon, as banks brace for sweeping regulatory changes surrounding liquidity. But is liquidity risk management something to be embraced or feared? Find out what the experts are saying about liquidity risk and the high-performance solutions that can help you manage it.
The incidence and sophistication of fraud, waste and abuse are on the rise in every industry, fueled in part by the ongoing financial uncertainty gripping the world's economy. No matter what industry you're in – banking, insurance, health care, government – your organization is likely feeling the effects. And feeling the pressure do something about it.
To fight fraud effectively, you must continually improve the way you monitor customer behavior across multiple accounts and systems. Get the latest insights on fraud prevention and the technology that gives organizations the upper hand in detecting fraud in any form, at any touch point.
A recent Longitude Research survey of more than 100 senior banking officials across Europe and the US found that the majority of banks still don’t use stress testing outcomes to inform strategic decision making. What is holding them back?
While government is, by no means, the only industry fighting fraud, government agencies face unique challenges. Join in discussions about the many ways analytics is driving change.