DATA FOR GOOD INSIGHTS
Using data to improve lives
Recent Data for Good Insights
- Finding COVID-19 answers with data and analyticsLearn how data plays a role in optimizing hospital resources, understanding disease spread, supply chain forecasting and scientific discoveries.
- From living on the streets to owning a profitable businessZoe Empowers, a ministry for vulnerable children living in life-threatening poverty in Africa and India, finally found a way to measure and reveal its incredible impact. Using SAS, they developed an "empowerment index" that measures improvements in housing, health, education and more for program participants.
- Saving lives during a global pandemic through medical resource optimizationCleveland Clinic is operationalizing analytics to combat COVID-19, creating innovative models that help forecast patient volume, bed capacity, medical equipment availability and more.
- Optimizing well placement to eliminate water poverty How data visualization is helping Water for Good bring fresh water to the Central African Republic.
- Fighting coronavirus: 4 ways analytics is making a differenceCoronavirus has separated us from family, friends, cultural and religious communities. Unfortunately, isolation is essential to slowing the spread of the virus. What else can be done? Learn how analytics is being used to improve responses to the coronavirus outbreak.
- Analytics leads to lifesaving cancer therapiesA long-shot treatment offers hope to 10-year-old Harrison after he learns the DNA profile of his cancer is resistant to chemo. Find out how data and analytics play a role in cancer research and cancer treatments that are saving lives.
- The Humanity in Artificial IntelligenceCould artificial intelligence be the change agent we need to solve many problems around the globe? Read how AI could accelerate our ability to have a a positive, lasting impact.
- Analytics: A must-have tool for leading the fight on prescription and illicit drug addictionStates and MFCUs now have the analytics tools they need to change the trajectory of the opioid crisis by analyzing data and predicting trouble spots – whether in patients, prescribers, distributors or manufacturers. The OIG Toolkit with free SAS® programming code makes that possible.
- Nerd in the herd: protecting elephants with data scienceA passionate SAS data scientist uses machine learning to detect tuberculosis in elephants. Find out how her research can help prevent the spread of the disease.
- What do drones, AI and proactive policing have in common?Law enforcement and public safety agencies must wrangle diverse data sets – such as data from drones – in their proactive policing operations. To be most effective, they need modern tools that support AI techniques like machine learning, computer vision and natural language processing.
- Using data to change the worldApplying data science for social good has led to new and creative ways to address issues related to education, poverty, health, human rights, the environment and more.
- Proactive detection – A new approach to counter terrorTo counter terror, investigative teams can better utilize the data they already have by applying a fresh approach with these steps to proactive detection.
- Using analytics to prevent deadly infections Dignity Health’s Bio-Surveillance Program predicts new sepsis cases, allowing early intervention and saving lives.
- Using big data to predict suicide risk among Canadian youthSuicide is the second leading cause of death among youth in Canada. Here's how big data and analytics can be used to help identify at-risk teens.
- Supporting indigenous communities with analyticsThough indigenous women are a small part of Canada's population, they account for a disproportionately large number of Canada's murder victims. Now, big data and analytics are being used to help improve outcomes.
- Concussion: Journalist crunches the numbers and breaks a scandalHow Pulitzer Prize-nominated journalist Alan Schwarz used his stats background to achieve the most remarkable feat in sports journalism history.
- Analytics tackles the scourge of human traffickingVictims of human trafficking are largely invisible. And they're all around us. Now organizations are applying analytics to combat the problem -- and are achieving initial success.
- Can data sharing help cure cancer?Clinical trials can bring new drugs – and new hope – to the market for cancer patients. Now, a new data sharing platform for clinical trial data brings even more hope.
- Analytic simulations: Using big data to protect the tiniest patientsAnalytic models help researchers discover the best way to care for babies in the NICU, saving lives (and millions of dollars) in the process.
- #Data4Good: Treating cancer, one patient at a timeDrawing on her experience as a cancer patient, Susan Weidner devotes her career to helping oncologists identify personalized treatments based on massive amounts of data.
Send SAS Insights straight to your inbox