Reaching out to 3.6 million football fans
The data integration has been very successful so far. The basic data sources are connected, up to actual click and read behaviour. Next on our wish list, is to also integrate social behaviours into our single customer view.
The number of validated email adresses doubled within 6 months.
Reaching out to 3.6 million footbal fans
What KNVB does with analytics is quite unique. No other sport’s federation in Europe has a database as extensive and complete as this. Every member of every football club in the Netherlands is registered in the system! All the Dutch football clubs provide input to their database, which now has 3.6 million unique records. That’s 21% of the total Dutch population!
This means there’s an enormous amount of data to generate insights from. And KNVB puts it to good use.
KNVB’s goals for data analytics
- Gain more insights into the motives of football players, fans and volunteers
- Share these insights with the thousands of football clubs all around the country
- Make better data-driven marketing decisions and set up personalized marketing dialogues
- Optimize commercial opportunities for KNVB and its partners
- Become a truly data-driven organisation that promotes the love of the game.
The number of people using the platform continues to broaden. As a marketing department, we’re responsible for a single customer view. It’s our job to facilitate the access to the data for as many stakeholders as possible. We’re lucky to have several data-savvy marketers who are able to clearly communicate the advantages of analytics to the rest of the organisation and our partners. Maarten Hoffer Head of Brand & Marketing KNVB
The KNVB data analytics platform
With assistance from SAS, KNVB has set up a complete data analytics platform comprising different components:
- The Customer Intelligence KNVB System (CIKS) is an opt-in database that includes the member administration of all 3,000 amateur football clubs. Data from other sources (game data, ticket and merchandising sales, website visits) are added as well. Data quality and adherence to strict privacy rules are key in the (automated) extraction – transformation – load processes (ETL). CIKS contains 2.5 million unique profiles and is mainly used to generate additional commercial opportunities.
- SAS Marketing Automation and Visual Analytics are used for campaign management and advanced analytics. Direct mail, telemarketing and email are the primary channels used here.
- The ‘Voetbal Intelligence Platform (VIP – football intelligence platform ) builds on the CIKS database, but also includes extra data sources and more profile information (e.g. research results, demographic data). VIP is used mainly to gain new insights into the behaviour of members, fans and volunteers.
- Combined, these solutions make up the football ecosystem which also grants access to other football clubs, helping them make data-driven decisions.
The choice of the SAS data analytics platform was an obvious one to us: when it comes to data analytics, you won’t find anything with a better performance in the market than SAS. The opportunity we had to establish a real partnership with SAS, enabled us to make big strides forward, fast. This was also beneficial to SAS and that suited us perfectly as well. As a sports federation, we believe in solid partnerships to create true win-win. Maarten Hoffer Head of Brand & Marketing KNVB
KNVB – Facts & Figures
By selecting the right combination of criteria, telemarketing campaigns for knvb’s partners achieve 45% higher response rates.
Click ratios improved by +35% due to better
segmentation and communication.
Open ratios of newsletter and email campaigns often reach peaks of 60%.
Data analytics in action
A data analytics platform is just a means to an end, it’s never an end in itself. For KNVB, promoting football is done through a deeper understanding of their audiences:
- Segmentation of fans, volunteers, associations and active players is now fully data-driven and done in much more detail than ever before.
- Communication is more personalized: by adjusting the tone of voice and channel selection in combination with better tailored forecasting, communication campaigns and activities of the KNVB and its commercial partners perform better.
Taking analytics to the next level
Data makes it possible to extract sometimes surprising insights:
- Why do footballers stop playing? Because of the tightness of the team. Data proved that teams with less churn and higher retention rates, are the best guarantee to keep players motivated for longer.
- KNVB now predicts ticket sales for the games of the Dutch national team by looking at past sales and closely monitoring current sales evolutions. As such, the organisation can put in additional campaigns if needed to boost sales further.
- From the approximately 200 nationalities represented in the Netherlands, only 11 are not represented in the database, indicating that KNVB is achieving its goal of reaching as many people as possible.
The Koninklijke Nederlandse Voetbal Bond (KNVB) is the Dutch football federation. The organisation employs 450 people and is located in Zeist, the Netherlands. Its mission is to promote football in the Netherlands (‘Football is our life’).
Football in the Netherlands in numbers:
- 3,000 clubs
- 63,500 teams
- 1,200,000 players
- 745,000 games every year
- 80,000 trainers and coaches
- 31,000 referees
- 400,000 volunteers
- 7,000,000 stadium visits
- 12,000,000 national team fans