Governments around the world face more challenges than ever: providing citizens with better benefits and services at a lower cost while combating fraud and improper payments; improving public safety and national security in the face of terrorism threats; and delivering better health care while controlling skyrocketing health care costs. The list goes on.
At the same time, public sector entities produce, collect and store an unprecedented amount of increasingly diverse data that could be used to help solve these problems. However, traditional approaches to gleaning insights from data are no longer sufficient given the volume, velocity and variety that modern governments must manage. It is becoming increasingly critical for the public sector to find new ways to transform data into useful information.
How AI From SAS® Can Help
New AI techniques can automate complex tasks and unlock previously hidden insights across the spectrum of government data. Here are just a few of the ways public sector organizations are using AI:
- Automatically detect fraud and improper payments. Machine learning capabilities, including deep learning, can teach systems to detect outliers in data or match data against known patterns with unprecedented precision and recall, enabling you to stop fraud and improper payments before money goes out the door, and ensure that funds and services go to those who need them.
- Help ensure child well-being. Child welfare agencies can use AI capabilities, such as text analytics and natural language processing, to identify at-risk children and recommend interventions to prevent abuse before it occurs.
- Improve program efficiency and effectiveness. Using AI to automate repetitive tasks – no matter how complex – can revolutionize government efficiency, saving hundreds or even thousands of work hours, and freeing up limited resources to focus on other critical issues.
- Support national defense. Military and intelligence agencies can use predictive maintenance to ensure mission readiness, safety, and response agility.
- Make smart cities smarter. Big data analytics, sensor technologies and the internet of things (IoT), machine learning and cognitive computing can enable local governments to better understand citizen needs and provide local solutions that address them.
Why choose SAS for AI?
As the leader in advanced analytics, SAS understands that a carefully designed and well-implemented analytics strategy can help you more efficiently and effectively accomplish your goals. That's why we've embedded AI capabilities into our software – from the powerful SAS® Viya® to targeted solutions for public sector organizations. With an emphasis on greater interpretability and transparency, our AI capabilities enable you to better understand why the algorithms’ outputs are what they are – while automatically identifying, better managing and protecting personal information.
A public sector agency was the first SAS customer more than 45 years ago. Today, more than 650 government ministries, departments, offices and agencies around the world use SAS. Our leadership in advanced analytics, expertise in AI and experience with the public sector can give you THE POWER TO KNOW®.
- Solution Brief Natural Language Processing for Government Efficiency
- Customer Story Predictive analytics helps save lives during COVID-19 pandemic FPS Public Health uses SAS to forecast hospital bed occupancy, predict infection rates and ensure sufficient medical staffing during global health crisis
- Customer Story Smart city uses analytics and IoT to predict and manage flood events The Town of Cary, NC teams up with SAS and Microsoft Azure to protect citizens from flooding, safeguard watersheds and support environmentally sound development
- Customer Story Curbing traffic accidents and saving lives with machine learning Artificial intelligence and cloud computing make roads safer in Western Australia
- Customer Story Zeroing in on property values with machine learning Artificial intelligence improves assessment accuracy and productivity in Wake County
- White Paper Artificial Intelligence for Executives Integrating AI Into Your Organization
- Article What do drones, AI and proactive policing have in common?
- White Paper The Evolution of Analytics Opportunities and Challenges for Machine Learning in Business
- E-Book Transformational decision? Know your decisions will drive operational efficiency, support fairness and improve citizen outcomes
- Uncover procurement risks early using machine learning and AI
- Ethical and Fair Artificial intelligence in Government
AI Products & Solutions for Public Sector
- SAS® Detection and Investigation for Government Detect, prevent and more effectively manage fraud and all types of improper payments across your organization.
- SAS® Enterprise Miner™Streamline the data mining process to create highly accurate predictive and descriptive models based on large volumes of data.
- Analytics for Child Well-BeingProtect children by using analytics to identify high-risk situations before tragedies occur.
- SAS® Visual AnalyticsVisually explore all data, discover new patterns and publish reports to the web and mobile devices.
- SAS® Visual Data Mining and Machine LearningSolve your most complex problems faster with a single, integrated in-memory environment.
- SAS® Visual InvestigatorAddress a wide variety of intelligence analysis and investigation management needs with speed and precision.
- SAS® Visual StatisticsCreate and modify predictive models faster than ever using a visual interface and in-memory processing.
- SAS® Visual Text AnalyticsUncover insights hidden in text data with the combined power of natural language processing, machine learning and linguistic rules.