FRAUD & SECURITY INSIGHTS
Protect your data, protect your customers
Recent Fraud & Security articles
- How AI and advanced analytics are impacting the financial services industryTop SAS experts weigh in on the topics that are keeping institutions up at night and fraudsters in a job.
- Analytics: A must-have tool for leading the fight on prescription and illicit drug addictionStates and MFCUs now have the analytics tools they need to change the trajectory of the opioid crisis by analyzing data and predicting trouble spots – whether in patients, prescribers, distributors or manufacturers. The OIG Toolkit with free SAS® programming code makes that possible.
- Shut the front door on insurance application fraud!Fraudsters love the ease of plying their trade over digital channels. Smart insurance companies are using data from those channels (device fingerprint, IP address, geolocation, etc.) coupled with analytics and machine learning to detect insurance application fraud perpetrated by agents, customers and fraud rings.
- Detect and prevent banking application fraudSince credit fraud often starts with a falsified application, it makes sense to have analytics-driven tools in place to detect fraud from the earliest point and across the life of the account.
- What do drones, AI and proactive policing have in common?Law enforcement and public safety agencies must wrangle diverse data sets to be effective in their operations. Intelligence analysts are using that data to apply machine learning and AI for more proactive policing.
- Fraud detection and machine learning: What you need to knowFrom integrating throughout operations to maintaining customer service, machine learning – supervised and unsupervised – is a critical part of the fraud detection toolkit. Here’s what you’ll need to consider to get started.
- Proactive detection – A new approach to counter terrorTo counter terror, investigative teams can better utilize the data they already have by applying a fresh approach with these steps to proactive detection.
- Top 5 prepaid card fraud scamsThe margin for prepaid cards is slim, so it's particularly important to root out the scams. Here are some tips for combating and mitigating prepaid card fraud.
- Stop contract and procurement fraudFraud affects an estimated 30 percent of organizations' procurement processes. Beyond business rules and anomaly detection, analytics can detect and prevent fraud and preserve the integrity of the procurement process.
- 5 steps to sustainable GDPR complianceFollow these steps to achieve GDPR compliance by the May 2018 deadline – and get added benefits along the way.
- Uncover hidden financial crime riskEscalating threats call for a financial crime risk framework that uses powerful, visual, interactive techniques to proactively identify hidden risks.
- Know your blind spots in tax fraud preventionWhat can tax agencies do differently today than just a few years ago? Find out where fraud may lurk inside your agency – and the role analytics can play in tax fraud prevention.
- Big data: The gold mine of investigative policingFind out what's needed to capitalize on big data for a significant impact your investigators' work and outcomes.
- A cybersecurity framework: Six steps to empowering your analyticsAre your cybersecurity tools leaving your organization vulnerable? A career risk management professional/college professor explains why and what to do about it.
- Australian Superannuation at RiskWith over $2tn of assets, Australians’ retirement savings are under attack from Fraudsters and Hackers, even more so as Superannuation providers move into Digital with customer portals and faster processing. However, it is not all doom and gloom as behavioural signals of fraud are typically there well before the actual fraud occurs.
- Bad debt and fraud... It’s all the same, right?In the case of application fraud in banking, or subscription fraud in telecommunications, a large proportion of fraud is typically misclassified as bad debt.
- Who is committing procurement fraud in Australia and New Zealand?The global estimates for procurement fraud and abuse of procurement supply chain are significant – but as it’s usually internal fraud, are we avoiding the problem? The impact of fraud on the business are more than financial – reputation, loss of management time and loss of human capital. Removing the temptation may benefit everyone.
- Market Abuse and Advanced AnalyticsHolistic Trader and Trader Surveillance are what the Risk and Compliance departments are crying out for. What’s the role of Predictive Analytics and Machine Learning in Market Abuse Solutions?
- 10 tips for Life Insurance Companies and AMLLife insurance companies have AML challenges that are both simple and complex. The challenges are simple as there are less products and channels available compared to banks. Here are 10 tips to consider to stay ahead of the international crime syndicates.
- Three considerations for your next generation tax compliance platformCRS is truly global, extending to any customer who is a tax resident in a reportable country. Don’t view this as just another “tick in the box” exercise. Tackling this with a manual process or even cobbling together a semi-automated system, as many have done for FATCA, just won’t cut it. While it may seem like another situation to throw valuable resources, time and money at meeting a new compliance, I also see this as a real opportunity.
Send SAS Insights straight to your inbox