SAS Privacy Statement
Our Commitment to Privacy
Your privacy is important to us. SAS Institute Inc., together with our subsidiaries and affiliates ("SAS" or "we"), are providing this Privacy Statement to describe our online information collection practices and explain the choices you can make about the way your personal information is collected and used.
Scope of this Privacy Statement
This Privacy Statement applies to information we collect when you visit this website and our other websites and mobile apps that we operate and that reference this Privacy Statement (collectively, the “Websites”). We may also collect information from you in other ways, including information collected during technical support contacts, on registration forms, in person (e.g., business cards), and from third parties. If we provide a separate or supplemental notice when we collect personal information from you, that notice will control to the extent of any conflict.
Special notice for the EEA: Persons in the European Union should access the EEA version of this Privacy Statement applicable to processing of personal information subject to the General Data Protection Regulation.
This Privacy Statement does not apply to:
(ii) Personal information in customer-controlled data to which SAS may be given access in connection with SAS’ provision of technical support services, which is subject to SAS Technical Support Policies;
(iii) Personal information included in customer-controlled data to which SAS may be given access in connection with consulting services, which is subject to agreements between SAS and its customers.
The Information We Collect and How We Collect It
The information SAS may collect about you includes:
- Contact information such as your name, postal address, telephone number and email address.
- Information about your professional interests and experiences with our products or services.
- Business and marketing information that helps us provide our services to you, including your contact, language and marketing preferences.
- Transaction information, including purchase history, order and contract information, delivery and technical support details, and payment and billing information.
- Technical information, such as details about your device, your browser, how you use our website, including what pages of our websites you visit and when, and IP addresses.
- Security data used for authentication and fraud prevention.
SAS collects this information in several ways:
- Through information you provide in your SAS Profile.
- Through registration, surveys, and other online forms.
- As part of an ongoing sales process.
- While providing online technical support, consultation, live chat or product information.
- Through the process of maintaining and upgrading our products.
- Through automated means such as communications protocols, email communications, cookies, web beacons and pixels, and other related technologies in accordance with the SAS Statement on Cookies and Related Technologies.
- Through our mobile applications (some of which may be managed by third parties on behalf of SAS).
- Through your participation in surveys, contests and promotions.
- Through your use of social connectors and SAS-affiliated social networking areas, including interactions with us on third-party social media platforms.
- Through your interest in SAS ads placed on third-party sites.
- Through using statistical analysis or other automated means to make inferences about your interest in particular SAS products and services.
Personal information or other data we collect online may also be combined with information you provide to us through other channels such as product registration, call centers, or in conjunction with events such as trade shows, training seminars, contests and promotions, and conferences. Where permitted by applicable law, other information gathered from social media platforms and other published sources may be added to the data you provide.
How We Use Your Information
SAS may use your personal information in the following ways:
- To fulfill subscription requests and orders for software and services made online and to provide other information you request.
- To provide customer support and communicate with you about your orders, purchases or accounts with us, requests, questions, and comments.
- To inform you about important news about SAS, our new products and services, product updates, technical support issues, events and special offers we think you may be interested in.
- To make the Websites easier for you to use, such as by identifying you across platforms or devices for a consistent user experience, and customizing content and advertising relevant to your interests through analytics and profiling technology.
- To facilitate the use of certain features of the Websites, including collaborative forums and online communication channels like SAS Support Communities, should you wish to use them.
- To protect the security and integrity of SAS Websites, systems, servers and other technical assets.
- To prevent and detect fraud or other prohibited or illegal activity.
- To contact you for customer satisfaction surveys or other market research activities.
- To process your registration for online and in-person events hosted by SAS or our business partners.
- To promote our products and services on our Websites and third-party websites.
- To operate, evaluate, and improve our business (including developing new products and services; managing our communications; and performing accounting, auditing, billing, reconciliation and collection activities).
- To meet legal requirements, or as required by a judicial process or a government request, and to establish, exercise, or defend a legal claim.
- To comply with industry standards and our policies.
In addition, we analyze our web services such as browser session page views, registrations, demos, downloads, and email responses in aggregate and sometimes at the individual level in order to improve the quality of those offerings and to better tailor our marketing to our customers' needs. We may also use statistical analysis to accomplish the purposes listed above, including to better understand your marketing preferences and tailor our offerings to you.
How We Share Your Information
We will not sell, rent or lease to others your personal information. There are, however, situations in which we may share the personal information we collect online with other parties. These may include disclosures that we make:
- To SAS subsidiaries and affiliates as necessary to accomplish the purposes described above.
- To our vendors, subcontractors, processors, and other business partners for purposes related to those described above, and who have agreed to abide by our privacy and data-security requirements.
- At your direction or with your consent, such as when you choose to make your personal information available to participants in SAS Support Communities and other online communication channels.
- To companies other than SAS entities in connection with a sale or transfer of all or part of our business or assets.
- In response to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other governmental agencies.
- As we otherwise believe is necessary to protect our rights or property, including the security and integrity of the Websites.
Choice / Opt-Out
SAS offers you the choice of receiving different types of communication and information related to our company, products and services. You may subscribe to e-newsletters or other publications; you may also elect to receive marketing communications and other special offers from us via email. If at any time you would like to change your email communication preferences, we provide unsubscribe links and an opt-out mechanism for your convenience.
You may also access and make changes to your personal information specify your interests related to SAS products and services, opt in to email communications from SAS, and manage electronic newsletter subscriptions from your SAS Profile page.
In some cases, you may separately elect to receive marketing communications from other SAS business units and affiliates, such as JMP, a division of SAS; you may opt out from email communication about JMP products and services at any time.
At this time, we do not respond to browser "do not track" signals, but you may choose to disable cookies or opt out of behavioral advertising. You can learn more about how we used cookies and related technologies by visiting our Statement on Cookies and Related Technologies.
Our Commitment to Data Security
SAS takes care to guard the security of your information. We use physical, technical and organizational measures that are reasonably designed to protect personal information against accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, or alteration; unauthorized disclosure or access; and against all other unlawful forms of processing. Although no information security system is impenetrable, SAS maintains a comprehensive information security program that is proportionate to the risks associated with the processing. We use enhanced security measures when processing any sensitive information, such as by employing encryption technology when collecting or transferring payment card information.
Our Worldwide Practices
SAS is a global corporation with subsidiaries and affiliates and business partners in many countries, and with technical systems that cross borders. SAS may share your personal information among SAS affiliate entities. SAS has taken measures to ensure that all information is transferred among our affiliate entities in compliance with applicable law. Personal information collected on our site may be transferred across state and country borders and stored or processed in the United States or any other country in which SAS or its subsidiaries, affiliates, or business units maintain facilities for the purposes of data consolidation, storage, and simplified customer information management. SAS may also transfer your personal data to our subcontractors, vendors, or business partners in the United States and other countries who perform services on our behalf. By using the Websites, you consent to any such transfer of information outside of your country of residence or the country where the data was collected. SAS and our subsidiaries, affiliates, and business units will handle your information collected on our site in a consistent manner, as described here, even if the laws in some countries may provide less protection. For more information about practices specific to your jurisdiction, please visit the local privacy statements linked on this page.
Changes to This Statement
If there are updates to the terms of this Privacy Statement, we will post those changes here and update the revision date in this document so that you will always know what information we collect online, how we use it, and what choices you have. Your continued use of the Websites following the posting of changes to this Privacy Statement means you accept those changes.
Your Acceptance of These Terms
By using the Websites, you accept and agree to the terms of this Privacy Statement.
How to Contact Us
SAS Institute Inc.
SAS Campus Drive
Cary, NC 27513
ATTN: Legal Division / Privacy Officer
Revised May 16, 2018