Now you can extend the power of the SAS System throughout your organization -- in the form of customized, point and click applications created with SAS/AF software. This interactive applications development environment lets you harness the power of the SAS System for data
access, management, analysis, and presentation.
Use SAS/AF software to create user-friendly interactive windowing applications that give users quick, easy access to current information. Develop point-and-click applications that can be invoked using only a mouse or function keys. Both new and experienced users can put the SAS System to work without writing any code or knowing the SAS language.
And, since the SAS System is portable across hardware platforms, applications developers need only create an application once. You can do all your development work on one platform, then port the completed application to other environments with little or no modification.
Object-Oriented Graphical User Interfaces
SAS/AF software offers an object-oriented applications development environment. By incorporating many of the concepts and tools of object-oriented programming, SAS/AF software gives you a faster, easier, more flexible approach to developing applications.
Create your own graphical user interfaces (GUIs) using window elements such as graphics, icons, pull-down and pop-up menus, command buttons, scroll bars, and sliders. With GUI-based SAS/AF
applications, users can point-and-click their way through a series of choices using a mouse.
SAS/AF software provides a set of pre defined graphical and text objects for window design. You can customize these objects to create your own object types. The object-oriented approach
lets you treat application components as objects that can be shared and reused. Development tools are available in the latest release of the SAS System to further strengthen access to different data sources. These tools enable you to create an even friendlier interactive
environment and to provide source management performance analysis capabilities.
Powerful Screen Control Language
SAS/AF software includes a programming language designed to facilitate the development of interactive applications. SAS Screen Control Language (SCL) provides the power and flexibility to build all types of applications, from simple programs that automate an end user's workload to sophisticated systems that integrate features of multiple procedures and components.
Applications developers can use SCL to:
- Create data entry applications
- Display tables, menus, and selection lists
- Generate SAS source code and submit it to the SAS System for execution
- Generate code for execution by the host operating system's command processor
Rapid Applications Development
With SAS/AF software, you can quickly prototype an application's basic functions to verify the functionality and appropriateness of that application. Because prototypes are developed using the applications development facilities of the SAS System, the time spent modifying and delivering a complete application can be minimized.
You can use SAS/AF software to:
- Significantly reduce development time for new applications
- Quickly create flexible and powerful applications
- Easily maintain and enhance even the largest applications.
Incremental development and testing allows you to verify that the system meets your needs throughout its development, rather than after its completion.
Fully Customized User Selection
Users can communicate with applications through a series of menus, selection lists, fill-in-the-blank windows, or any combination of these. Link commands to function keys to facilitate both development and actual execution of an application.
You can control how the user sees the application with window text, arrangement of fields, color, and highlighting. By making your windows easy to read and attractively arranged, and by providing window text that tells users how to interact with the window, you can create applications that are responsive to individual client needs and levels of computing experience.
- Help Windows ...By displaying help windows with text, you
can assist end users at every step in an application. For example, you can tell the
user how to respond to or interact with the window, show valid
values for a particular field, indicate the type of response that
is requested for a field, and show which fields are required and
which ones are optional.
- Table and List Lookup ...The software allows applications
developers to link lists or data sets to fields. This ensures valid data entry.
- Application Testing ...SAS/AF software gives you the ability to test an application as you develop it. For example, you can check that field validation is performed correctly and that the source program is accurate by entering values and performing calculations. The testing environment will even execute SCL statements.
- Application Maintenance ...As your needs change, the SAS System enables you to adapt your applications quickly and easily. For example, new regulations may require you to adjust your analyses and reports. With the SAS System, you can modify your menu screen and your analysis parameters. And, as you utilize more and more of the SAS System, your application can be adapted to incorporate additional SAS System capabilities.
Make SAS/AF Software Part of Your Applications Team
With SAS/AF software, you can create:
- Customized graphical user interfaces
- Executive information systems
- Tailored systems for various departments
- Exception reporting facilities
- Computer-based training courses for any subject
- Entry and display screens
- Menu-driven, point-and-click applications
Ready to put The Power to Know® to work for you?
Subscribe today for FREE news updates from SAS