While the energy sector has been evolving in terms of generation and distribution, the IoT has the potential to be the most transformational if challenges related to reliability, integration, system complexity and security can be overcome. While reliable connectivity is an ongoing problem, many companies are struggling to integrate IoT technology with existing platforms, which tend to be overly complex, and may need to rethink their approach to data security in order to deploy IoT projects safely and securely.
How SAS Can Help
SAS enables organizations in the energy sector, including oil and gas companies and utilities, to capture and analyze increasing volumes and varieties of data streams flowing from numerous systems and connected devices, as well as shift analytics from traditional data centers toward devices at the edge. IoT solutions from SAS integrate streaming data with analytics and visualization so you can:
- Get the most value from your smart grid investments. Stop intentionally dropping valuable data because of bandwidth constraints. With SAS, you can use more new data sources without clogging operational systems by filtering and analyzing IoT data in motion, whether it’s from a data center, edge device or cloud.
- Optimize electric vehicle (EV) and distributed energy resource (DER) integration. Forecast specific needs of EVs and availability of DERs to meet demand, ensure grid stability and control costs.
- Extend your analytics infrastructure. Take algorithms to the data, reduce data movement and automate processes across your IoT infrastructure to reap incremental and long-term business gains.
- Develop new business opportunities. The SAS Platform enables innovation in both customer and grid applications, so you can get creative as you unlock new potential in distributed energy resources, advanced energy forecasting and smart city applications.
SAS has the experience and expertise to deliver cutting-edge IoT solutions for energy in the way that works best for your business:
- Advanced predictive modeling. Make better predictions of energy demand with more accurate forecasting models based on more data from more sources, including smart meters and weather stations. Automatically track model accuracy, and easily update models to reflect changes.
- Smart meter analytics. Optimize smart meter deployment and manage timely customer communications to get the most value from your investments in smart meters and advanced metering infrastructure.
- Comprehensive asset data. Integrate structured and unstructured data from all sources to get an enterprise view of asset performance and drive improved grid reliability.
- Advanced early-warning analytics. Identify potential issues early, even before they occur, so you can proactively take corrective action to improve outcomes.
- Automated monitoring and predictive alerts. Reduce downtimes, avoid major defects and address potential performance issues before they escalate, and use built-in workflows and case management capabilities for faster problem resolution.
- White Paper The Autonomous Grid: Machine Learning and IoT for Utilities
- White Paper Analytics and the Modern Energy Supplier How IoT and AI make digital utility transformation possible
- White Paper Asset Performance Analytics Optimizing Performance in Asset-Intensive Industries
- Article Smart cities, smart energy solutions – thanks to the IoT
- Article The opportunity of smart grid analytics How utility companies are capitalizing on the exponential growth of data sources
- White Paper IoT Analytics in Practice Blue Hill Research - Analyst Insight
- Interview Why you need asset performance analytics Better manage your industrial assets to eliminate downtime, shorten repair time and improve the overall health of assets
- Article Analytics at the edge Examples of opportunity in the Internet of Things
- E-Book Making Sense of AI
- White Paper The Internet of Things Opportunities and Applications Across Industries
- White Paper Charging Ahead with EV Analytics Adopting a Flexible Approach to IoT Infrastructure for EV Integration
- E-Book Four Use Cases Show Real-World Impact of IoT
- White Paper The Autonomous Grid in the Age of the Artificial Intelligence of Things
SAS IoT Analytics Solutions for Energy
- SAS® Asset Performance AnalyticsHarness M2M and sensor data to boost uptime, performance and productivity while lowering maintenance costs and reducing your risk of revenue loss.
- SAS® Energy ForecastingImprove energy forecast performance, reduce uncertainties and generate value.