Add criteria to a new segment
Learn how to define who is included in a new segment by adding data and events as criteria.
Define who is included in the segment by using data and events as criteria. You can manually add criteria or use customer lists that have been imported from SAS Marketing Automation. The lists are exported from Cell nodes and Link nodes in SAS Marketing Automation campaigns.
Note: While you are adding criteria, you can get an estimate segment size by clicking .
- You can select All of the following to include members who meet all of the criteria in a group. Or, you can select Any of the following to include members who meet one or more of the criteria in a group. Make a copy of the criteria, or click or to move criteria up or down in the list.
- Optional: To create a group to contain a set of criteria, Add Criteria to New Group.
- Add criteria. In the Select Criteria window, you can select the criteria that you want to add. Alternatively, you can add criteria from an imported list by clicking and selecting Imported Lists.
- When you add an event to your segment, you can change the occurrence and time period of the event. The occurrence defines how often the event must occur so that a person is eligible for the segment. The time period defines when the event must occur in order to be eligible. By default, an event must occur at least once in the past week. To change the occurrence or time period of this event, click Edit and set the event occurrence details.
Specify the number of times the event must occur to be eligible by setting an operator and value for Occurrences. For example, you can set the Occurrence to Less than (<) five as a way to specify that an event must happen at most four times in order for a person to be eligible.
Set the time period in which all occurrences must happen by selecting one of these date ranges:
- Choose Relative if you want to define a time period relative to the current day, such as within the last week.
- Choose Absolute to define a time period around a specific date. For example, you can set the date range so that the event must occur at least one time before a specified date or between two specified dates.
- Choose None when you do not need to define a date range for the event. Selecting None means that an event can occur at any time and be eligible.
For example, you want your segment to include customers who have visited your website’s home page at least three times since January 1, 2016.
- First, you need to define an event that detects and records a customer’s view of your site’s home page.
- Then, you can create a segment or targeting in a task that uses that event as criteria. You must set the occurrence and time period details for the event that detects a customer’s view of the home page. Set Occurrences to be greater than two.
- Select Absolute for the date range, and set the date range to be greater than or equal to January 1, 2016.