SAS® Cost and Profitability Management Features
Flexible & scalable modeling
- High-performance, in-memory processing allows you to run and modify models an order of magnitude faster than with standard, write-to-disk technology. Complex models that used to take hours or overnight to update can now be run in a fraction of the time.
- Rapidly create what-if scenarios that can vary costs, drivers, volumes and even workflows.
- Client-server, web-enabled, multiuser architecture, scalable to meet complex modeling needs:
- Support for multiple concurrent modeling sessions.
- Centrally managed server with role-based security.
- Model database independence. You can use Microsoft SQL Server or Oracle.
- User-defined dimensions with various periods and scenario combinations.
- Intuitive modeling user interface:
- Workspace to manage models, reports and OLAP views.
- Visual point-and-click assignment creation and views.
- Drag-and-drop control of dimension member hierarchies.
- Wizards with step-by-step guidance on building models.
- Modeling method independence, including top-down, quantity-based assignment or bottom-up, consumption-rate modeling.
Advanced costing & profitability calculation
- Dimensional profitability analysis. Calculate and report profitability contributions to business segments, such as product, customer and organization.
- Rules-based driver:
- User-defined rules automate the creation of the most common assignments, saving considerable time versus manual creation of each assignment.
- Modeler still has full control over rule use, ETL processes and assignment creation.
- Capacity costing, modeling and activity-based budgeting:
- Model available capacity versus used or idle capacity.
- Conduct what-if analysis for resource planning.
- Account search to help you find dimension members within a deep hierarchy or search accounts with no cost/assignment or attributes.
- Intramodular and reciprocal cost assignments:
- Assign costs in the same module.
- Allow flexible cost pooling and flowing.
- Simultaneous, two-way cost assignment between accounts.
- Trace detailed cost flows.
- Advanced drivers and attributes:
- Basic, evenly assigned, percentage, weighted, sequencing, bill-of-cost, sales volume and calculated drivers.
- Text, numeric, calculated and dimensional attributes for reporting and analysis.
- External and internal bills of cost that can be linked directly to an account.
Analysis & reporting
- Integration with SAS Visual Analytics lets you jump immediately from model output to a powerful visual toolkit of analysis and exploration.
- Complete SAS Business Intelligence capabilities:
- Web-based reporting, query, analysis and deployment.
- Self-service reporting and analysis.
- Seamless data sharing with SAS Strategy Management allows you to use scorecard metrics as drivers and measures, and to identify activity-based management measures and publish them as metric tables.
- Dynamic creation of OLAP cubes for multidimensional data analysis.
- Standard reporting templates, including idle capacity, unit cost, P&L, profit cliff, module hierarchy, multilevel contribution, resource contribution, unassigned cost.
- Integration with SAS Add-In for Microsoft Office, which allows you to directly access the SAS Cost and Profitability Management database through Excel for reporting and analysis.
- Data warehousing or data mart capability.
- Automated, repeatable process for pulling volumes of data into and from activity-based models.
- Embedded data quality processes.
- The SAS services API allows you to import DBMS staging tables, automate model creation and maintenance, and import/export data to and from another DBMS.
- Ability to read from/write to nearly any data on any technology platform in batch and real time.