SAS/ACCESS® Software Features
Seamless, transparent data access
- Broad access to data through an intuitive interface, regardless of where it’s stored.
- Support for a wide range of databases and platforms, including big data databases, relational stores, data warehouses, mainframe sources and PC files.
- Easy integration with popular platforms without detailed knowledge of the database or SQL.
- Option of working in SAS or SQL with automatic generation of the appropriate SQL statements, passed through to the database for execution.
- Support for integration standards outside of the dedicated SAS/ACCESS module, including SAS/ACCESS Interface to ODBC, SAS/ACCESS Interface to JDBC and SAS/ACCESS Interface to OLE DB.
- Ability to execute procedural language, complementing SQL-based statement logic.
- High level of security with native database security mechanisms.
- Option to import or export data from a PC file to a SAS data set, as well as the ability to read and write directly to PC files.
- DBMS metadata can be accurately maintained within the SAS Metadata Repository for metadata reuse.
Flexible query language support
- Seamlessly access data with minimal knowledge of the data or the SQL required to surface it.
- Take more control by using your own customer SQL statements to modify or maintain automatically generated SQL.
- Map SAS specific statements or functions to database-specific statements or functions and process SQL statements directly inside the database for optimal performance.
- Enlist a SAS extension to process the appropriate query logic using the SAS or database engine.
Performance tuning options
- Take advantage of a multithreaded read interface, as well as threaded kernel technology and native APIs to Oracle, DB2 Spark and Teradata.
- Enable federated views through optimized read and write, including buffering, compression, threading, chunking, and sort and join performance.
- Join processing is automatically pushed into the database.
- Boost performance with temporary table support.
- Work effortlessly with seamless interfaces to loaders and utilities without an in-depth understanding of each loader.
- Use PROC TRANSPOSE pushdown capability for Teradata and Hadoop.
- Use PROC pushdown capability for Amazon Redshift, Postgres, Microsoft SQL Server and metadata integration.
- Maintain DBMS metadata within the SAS metadata repository, and reuse data jobs.
- Use jobs across a variety of SAS solutions, including SAS® Enterprise Guide® and SAS Data Management.
- Use native storage options, including support for temporary tables, materialized views and partitioned tables.
- Make use of native database types that translate the source database to the appropriate SAS data type.
- Increase database performance with processor threads, placing data into a memory buffer between reads.
- National language support.
Optimization features for better performance
- Use pipeline read to increase database read performance by up to 30 percent via a processor thread that reads data from a database and places it into a memory buffer. Pipeline read is available in SAS/ACCESS Interface to DB2 (non-z/OS), SAS/ACCESS Interface to Greenplum, SAS/ACCESS Interface to Oracle and SAS/ACCESS Interface to Teradata.
- Improve efficiency with native storage options, including temporary tables, materialized views and partitioned tables.
- Speed processing with native database types, which are automatically translated to the appropriate SAS data type.
SAS/ACCESS® for databases
- SAS/ACCESS interfaces to relational databases and database appliances include:
- Amazon Aurora (MySQL engine)
- Amazon Aurora (Postgres engine)
- Amazon RDS MariaDB
- Amazon RDS Microsoft SQL Server
- Amazon RDS MySQL
- Amazon RDS Oracle
- Amazon RDS PostgreSQL
- Amazon Redshift
- Azure Database for MySQL
- Azure Database for PostgreSQL
- Google BigQuery
- Google Cloud Platform Cloud SQL for PostgreSQL
- Google Cloud Platform Cloud SQL MySQL
- IBM Integrated Analytics System (IIAS)
- Microsoft Azure SQL Database
- Microsoft Azure SQL Database managed instance
- Microsoft SQL Server
- OLE DB
- Oracle Cloud Platform Oracle
- SAP ASE
- SAP HANA
- SAP R3
- Teradata Database on Amazon Web Services
- Teradata Database on Microsoft Azure
- Teradata Database on VMware
SAS/ACCESS® for mainframes
- Supported mainframe sources include:
- SAS/ACCESS® Interface to IMS-DL/I
SAS/ACCESS® for distributed file systems
- SAS/ACCESS® Interface to Hadoop
- Amazon EMR
- Cloudera Distribution of Hadoop
- Hortonworks Data Platform
- Microsoft Azure HDInsight
SAS/ACCESS® Interface to PC Files
- SAS/ACCESS® Interface to PC Files includes access to:
- DIF (Unix)
- XLS (Windows)
SAS/ACCESS® for nonrelational sources
- SAS/ACCESS® Interface to MongoDB
- SAS/ACCESS® Interface to the PI System
- SAS/ACCESS® Interface to Salesforce