Get Certified with SAS
SAS Certified Base Programmer for SAS 9 Credential
The ideal certification for those relatively new to SAS programming or new to SAS certification
Successful candidates should have experience in programming and data management using SAS 9 and should be able to
- Import and export raw data files
- Manipulate and transform data
- Combine SAS data sets
- Create basic detail and summary reports using SAS procedures
- Identify and correct data, syntax and programming logic errors.
Candidates who earn this credential will have earned a passing score on the SAS Base Programming for SAS 9 exam. This exam is administered by SAS and Pearson VUE.
- 60-65 multiple-choice and short-answer questions (must achieve score of 70% correct to pass)
- 110 minutes to complete exam
- Use exam ID A00-211; required when registering with Pearson VUE.
- This exam is based on SAS 9.4
Exam topics include:
- Use FORMATTED and LIST input to read raw data files.
- Use INFILE statement options to control processing when reading raw data files.
- Use various components of an INPUT statement to process raw data files including column and line pointer controls, and trailing @ controls.
- Combine SAS data sets.
- Access an Excel workbook.
Creating Data Structures
- Create temporary and permanent SAS data sets.
- Create and manipulate SAS date values.
- Export data to create standard and comma-delimited raw data files.
- Control which observations and variables in a SAS data set are processed and output.
- Investigate SAS data libraries using base SAS utility procedures.
- Sort observations in a SAS data set.
- Conditionally execute SAS statements.
- Use assignment statements in the DATA step.
- Modify variable attributes using options and statements in the DATA step.
- Accumulate sub-totals and totals using DATA step statements.
- Use SAS functions to manipulate character data, numeric data, and SAS date values.
- Use SAS functions to convert character data to numeric and vice versa.
- Process data using DO LOOPS.
- Process data using one-dimensional SAS arrays.
- Validate and clean data.
- Generate list reports using the PRINT procedure.
- Generate summary reports and frequency tables using base SAS procedures.
- Enhance reports through the use of user-defined formats, titles, footnotes and SAS System reporting.
- Generate reports using ODS statements.
- Identify and resolve programming logic errors.
- Recognize and correct syntax errors.
- Examine and resolve data errors.
Experience is a critical component to becoming a SAS Certified Professional. These affordable resources are designed to help you prepare.
Get training from SAS experts. To view training options in your country.
Base SAS Programmer Certification
- SAS Programming 1: Essentials
- SAS Programming 2: Data Manipulation Techniques
SAS Certification Prep Guide: Base Programming for SAS 9, Third Edition
The official guide from the SAS Certification Program that covers all of the objectives tested in the exam. Topics include importing and exporting raw data files, creating and modifying SAS data sets, and identifying and correcting data syntax and programming logic errors.
View the sample questions for this exam.
Practice your skills with the SAS Certification Practice Exam: Base Programming for SAS 9
Contact the SAS Global Certification Program at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-727-0025.
Registration with Pearson VUE can be made online or by phone only. No registration can be done within a test facility. A minimum of 24 hours is required for registration for returning candidates. First-time candidates require additional time as listed.
Visit www.pearsonvue.com/sas. Follow these easy steps once on the site:
- Attention first-time users:
You must create a new Web account within Pearson VUE before you can schedule a SAS exam. This can take up to two business days based on information provided to produce your username and password needed for exam registration.
- Returning users:
If you have previously taken a test with Pearson VUE and created a Web account, but do not remember your sign-in information, there are links within Pearson VUE to help obtain this information.
- Attention first-time users:
To register by phone, visit www.pearsonvue.com/sas and select the 'Schedule By Phone'. Numbers for your location will be provided.
Register with Pearson VUE as indicated above.
For SAS-sponsored US testing, visit SAS-sponsored Testing Events in the US. For SAS-sponsored testing outside the US, please contact your local SAS office.
Within North America and India, the fees associated with an exam offered through Pearson VUE is $180 USD.
Certification exam prices are subject to change. In some countries, different pricing and additional taxes may apply. Please visit www.pearsonvue.com/sas for exam pricing in your country.
- To cancel or reschedule your test appointment, visit www.pearsonvue.com/sas and select 'Cancel a Test' or 'Reschedule a Test.' Tests must be canceled more than 24 hours before the scheduled exam appointment time. Canceling with less than 24 hours' notice will forfeit your exam fee.
- Customers who do not appear for a scheduled exam forfeit the full exam fee. If the exam fee was paid with a voucher, the voucher number will be invalidated and unavailable for future use.
Candidates may attempt each certification exam up to five times in a 12-month period, waiting a minimum of 14 days between attempts. Exam charges are incurred for each exam attempt. Exams that do not comply with this retake policy will be considered invalid and will not be eligible for refund and/or a certification credential. Once a passing score is achieved on a specific exam, no further attempts are allowed on that exam.
Candidates are encouraged to review the SAS Institute Inc. Global Certification Program Candidate Agreement prior to their exam day.
What to bring: Certification candidates are required to provide two forms of identification to the testing center, including one photo identification such as a driver's license or a valid passport. Both forms must display the candidate's signature. If you have questions regarding acceptable forms of id, please contact www.pearsonvue.com/contact.
Arriving at the test center: Candidates should plan to arrive 15 minutes before their scheduled exam time. Candidates arriving more than 15 minutes late are not guaranteed exam availability or a refund.
Reference materials: To maintain the security of the test environment, candidates are not permitted to bring reference materials of any kind into the testing center.
Personal items: The only items allowed in the testing area are your identification. Please leave any backpacks, laptops, briefcases and other personal items at home. If you have personal items that cannot be left behind (such as purses), the testing center may have lockers available for use. No cameras, cell phones, audio players, or other electronic devices are allowed during exam sessions. Please refer to Pearson VUE Candidate Rules Agreement for more information.
All notes will be collected at the end of testing and no material may be removed from the testing event.
You will receive an immediate pass/fail score upon completion of your exam attempt at your testing facility. The score report will display the percentage of items in each section that you answered correctly for your exam. Please note: These section scores are calculated on a per section basis and cannot be used in determining your total score. They are provided to you for descriptive purposes only.
Welcome E-mail and Certificate
If you pass your exam and meet all requirements for this credential, you will receive an e-mail from SAS with instructions providing access to your certificate and logo through the Certification Records Management System. This e-mail will be sent to the e-mail address you provided to Pearson VUE at exam registration. Some individual firewalls may send this e-mail to your junk folder. Please allow at least one week from your exam date to receive your e-mail.
Within Certification Records Management system, your certificate can be accessed on the left navigation bar under "Printable Documents." To print your certificate, your pop-up blocker should be disabled before clicking the "Print Now" button. Click on "Print Now" and your certificate will open in a new window where you can download and/or print.
Certain credentials require more than one exam to earn the credential. We encourage you to visit credentials and exams for more information.
Public Registry of Certified Professionals
A Public Registry of SAS Certified Professionals is maintained within the SAS Certification Records Management system. If you do not wish for your name to appear in the Public Registry of SAS Certified Professionals, you may choose to be excluded by updating your personal information in the SAS Certification Records Management system.
We love questions
Feel free to contact us if you would like more details.
Check out our answer bank to Frequently Asked Questions.