Add criteria to a new segment
Learn how to use data and events to define who is included in a segment.
You can manually add criteria or use customer lists that have been imported from SAS Marketing Automation. The lists are exported from Cell nodes and Link nodes in SAS Marketing Automation campaigns.
Note: While you are adding criteria, click Refresh Count for an estimate of the segment size.
- Select All of the following to include members who meet all of the criteria in a group. Or, select Any of the following to include members who meet one or more of the criteria in a group. Click Copy Criteria to make a copy of the criteria. Click Move Criteria Up or Move Criteria Down to move criteria up or down in the list.
- (Optional) To create a group to contain a set of criteria, click Add Criteria to New Group.
- Click Add Criteria to add criteria. In the Select Criteria window, select the criteria to add. Alternatively, to add criteria from an imported list, click Down Arrow and select Imported Lists.
- When you add an event to your segment, you can change the occurrence and time period of the event. The occurrence defines how often the event must occur so that a person is eligible for the segment. The time period defines when the event must occur in order to be eligible. By default, an event must occur at least once in the past week. To change the occurrence or time period of this event, click Edit and set the event occurrence details.
Specify the number of times the event must occur in order for a person to be eligible. Set an operator and value for Occurrences. For example, you can set the Occurrence to Less than (<) 5 to specify that an event must occur at most four times in order for a person to be eligible.
Set the time period in which all occurrences must occur:
- Select Relative to define a time period relative to the current day, such as within the past week.
- Select Absolute to define a time period with specific dates. For example, you can set the time period so that the event occurs at least one time before a specified date or between two specified dates.
- Select None when you do not need to define a time period for the event.
For example, say you want your segment to include customers who have visited your website’s home page at least three times since January 1, 2016.
- First, define an event that detects and records a customer’s view of your site’s home page.
- Create a segment or targeting in a task that uses that event as a criterion.
- Set the occurrence and time period details for the event that detects a customer’s view of the home page. Set the Occurrence to Greater than (>) 2. Select Absolute for the time period, and set the time period to be greater than or equal to January 1, 2016.
Be a part of the SAS® Customer Intelligence Community
Meet and mingle with other users in the SAS Customer Intelligence Community. Ask questions. Get answers. Share tips. It's a great place to learn, grow and collaborate.