SAS® for Sustainability Management
Focus on Green IT
Strategic IT leaders have started to include environmental criteria like energy consumption, greenhouse gas emissions, computing efficiency and product recycling in planning for their IT operations. As growth accelerates, leaders must justify the cost and emissions of new capital expenditures. At the same time, they are looking for more accurate measurements of capacity, demand and energy consumption.
To begin, you need reliable, granular information on what devices and processes are affecting current energy performance, and you need the ability to drill down and analyze that information to make fact-based decisions instead of estimated calculations. In addition to monitoring tools, to go from reactive to proactive management requires an overall view of IT performance (such as PUE and other green metrics) – which is more effectively derived from automated data collection and analysis.
How SAS® Can Help
SAS goes beyond capacity planning to understand true energy and efficiency of IT resources so that you can monitor, manage and control the energy consumption and carbon footprint of your IT infrastructure assets and operations. Designed for large private and public sector organizations, SAS for green IT provides a business analytics framework for evaluating energy consumed and emissions produced by an IT ecosystem. SAS helps you:
- Improve data collection. With SAS, electronically capture energy and capacity data from physical and virtual IT resources, third-party measurement tools and device monitoring applications across the entire IT infrastructure (networks, applications, Web servers, appliances, databases, security sensors, call centers, etc.) to create a "green IT" baseline.
- Track performance to goal for organization-specific or globally recognized sustainability measurement standards. SAS gives you access to the information needed to understand why performance is at its current levels and what factors are correlated with that performance. It also models forecasts of future performance. By increasing utilization, you can control energy-related carbon emissions while freeing up power and cooling capacity for the future. SAS dashboards provide role-relevant insight and reporting for key stakeholders to manage performance against sustainability targets with transparency throughout the organization.
- Optimize IT infrastructure by evaluating benefits of alternative strategies and mitigating risks. SAS' embedded analytics provide performance forecasts, correlation analyses and scenario modeling so you can identify candidates for server consolidation or virtualization to reduce power and cooling-related carbon emissions. SAS gives you the tools to accurately quantify energy and cost savings based on facts rather than estimates.
How SAS® Is Different
- Integrated IT asset optimization AND energy management. SAS offers a solution from which you can perform both capacity planning and energy and emissions management.
- Predict performance on KPIs, including energy consumption. Even though your organization may be energy-constrained, with SAS Analytics you can still predict how long you have to operate without significant risks to your ability to deliver IT services. SAS provides the foresight into planning scenarios for demand, capacity and licensing.
- Data integration. With SAS' award-winning data integration, establish an integrated, consistent source of quality information that employs predefined data models. Use SAS' library of prepackaged data transformations for aggregation and report-ready data sources to create IT data marts containing statistically enriched and time-organized information.
Related Software Offerings
- SAS for Sustainability Management – Measure, manage and report on the triple bottom line – environmental, social and economic indicators – and determine business strategies that reduce risk and increase shareholder value.
- IT Management with SAS IT Intelligence – Optimize IT resources, services and financial impact, all in support of strategic business goals:
Ready to learn more?
Call us at 1-800-727-0025 (US and Canada) or request more information.