VanSUG - Vancouver SAS Users group
Come out and join us for our semi-annual meeting. Learn all kinds of tips and tricks! Meetings are always free to attend.
Our next meeting will be held Wednesday, November 27th, 2013 from 9:00am - 3:00pm. A detailed agenda can be found below and you may register here.
Wednesday November 27th, 2013, 9:00a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Gordon & Leslie Diamond Family Theatre
BC Cancer Agency Research Centre
675 West 10th Ave.
(Map Location HERE)
VanSUG Main Session
8:30am -- 9:00am: Registration & Networking Breakfast
9:00am -- 9:20am: Intro/SAS Update (Matt Malczewski, SAS Canada)
9:20am -- 9:50am: Geographical Maps Using SAS/Graph (Colleen McGahan, BC Cancer Agency)
9:30am -- 10:05am - Competing Risk Analysis SAS vs. R (Lovedeep Gondara, BC Cancer Agency)
10:05am -- 10:40am - Networking Break
10:40am -- 11:10am -- What High Performance Means to Me Today & Tomorrow (Tim Trussell, SAS Canada)
11:10am -- 11:30am - Pretty as a Picture: Formatting in ODS PDF & PROC REPORT (Brooke Kinniburgh, Perinatal Services BC)
11:30am - 11.50am: Tips to adding Efficiency to SAS Programming (Guillaume Colley, BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/Aids)
11:50am -- 12:00pm: Prize Draw & Closing Remarks
12:10pm -- 1:00pm: NOTE: Lunch will no longer be provided between the Main and BA Sessions.
VanSUG Business Analytics Session
12:45pm -- 1:00pm -- Registration
1:00pm -- 1:30pm: SAS & the Elephant (Tim Trussell, SAS Canada)
1:30pm - 1:50pm: Calculating Drive Times Between Injury & Hospital in SCI Using Google Maps (Jayson Shurgold, Rick Hansen Institute)
1:50pm -2:15pm: Networking Break
2:15pm -2:35pm: BC Hydro Topology Mapping Using SAS OR (Jing Dong, BC Hydro)
2:35pm -2:50pm: BA-Related Cool Tips & Tricks (Rob Wilson, SAS Canada)
2:50pm - 3:00pm Prizes & Closing Remarks
We strongly recommend joining the SAS Canada Community . Here, you'll be able to connect with SAS Canada staff and SAS experts who are happy to come together to discuss SAS-related topics. You'll find Canadian-centric content here which isn't available anywhere else: join us today!
Do you have a profile on LinkedIn? If so, search the 'groups' function to locate Canadian SAS user groups, including the VanSUG Users Group. Why join? For professional networking, SAS related discussions and event notifications, and to become more involved with your local SAS user community.
We are always looking for User presentations for upcoming User Group meetings, whether it is a quick 5 minute tip or a full 30-45 minute presentation. This is an excellent opportunity to not only share your knowledge and your experience with your peers, but also get feedback and ideas on the work that you are doing with SAS. If you are interested in contributing, please contact one of our executive team members or Matt Malczewski, Canadian SAS User Group Program Manager.
The Executive Team is excited to continue with new issues of the newsletter: you'll find the latest issue here. Again, feedback is very positive. Some of you have already volunteered to make a contribution to future issues, so thank you. We continue to welcome and need your support. If you have any ideas or want to contribute to our newsletter, please forward your suggestions to our email address: email@example.com.
Meet Our Executive Team
President – Colleen McGahan (Main Session Lead)
Vice-president – Scott Albrechtsen (BA Session Lead)
Newsletter - Nate Derby
Main Session Evaluation Forms – Nuria Chapinal
BA Session Evaluation Forms – Jane Dong
Facilities Coordinator – Mei Chong
Communications Lead (incl. gmail and website) – Suzanne Humphreys
General member – Julia Zhu
To learn more information about our Executive team Roles and Responsibilities, please click here.
If you would like to be notified of upcoming SAS User Group Meetings in Vancouver, please SUBSCRIBE to the Vancouver SAS User Group Distribution List.
For directions to the B.C. Cancer Agency Research Centre where VanSUG meetings are usually held, please CLICK HERE!
- Issue 10 (Spring 2013) **NEW!!
- Issue 9 (Fall 2012)
- Issue 8 (Spring 2012)
- Issue 7 (Fall 2011)
- Issue 6 (Spring 2011)
- Issue 5 (Fall 2010)
- Issue 4 (Spring 2010)
- Issue 3 (Fall 2009)
- Issue 2 (Spring 2009)
Issue 1 (Fall 2008)
- SAS Update - Matt Malczewski, SAS Canada (May 2013) **NEW!!
- When 'Any Date' Doesn't Mean ANYDATE: A Macro Solution - Charlotte King, Alberta Health Services (May 2013) **NEW!!
- Getting the Right DATES - Marje Fecht, Prowerk Consulting (May 2013) **NEW!!
- Analyzing 'Facebook' Data Using SAS Statistical Tools – Harsh Kumar, Student, University of Fraser Valley (May 2013) **NEW!!
- Quick Hits: My Favourite SAS Tricks – Marje Fecht, Prowerk Consulting (May 2013) **NEW!!
- SAS Enterprise Guide as an SQL Server Querying Interface – Paulus Mau, BC Hydro (May 2013) **NEW!!
- SAS Visual Analytics: A Deeper Dive – Matt Malczewski, SAS Canada (May 2013) **NEW!!
- SAS Update and Support Options - Mark Morreale, SAS Canada (November 2012)
- The Unusual Rise of Diabetes in Pima Indians: A Case Study Using SAS - Charu Shankar, SAS Canada (November 2012)
- Determining Interaction Effects Using 3D Graphics in SAS - Jeremy Hamm, BC Cancer Agency (November 2012)
- Transposing Data Using Arrays - Mei Chong, BC Centre for Disease Control (November 2012)
- Proc SQL-Based Tips & Tricks - Suzanne Humphreys, Rick Hansen Institute (November 2012)
- SAS Tips & Tricks: Word Cloud (Part 1 and Part 2) - Rob Wilson, SAS Canada (November 2012)
- Analytics Session: High Performance Analytics & the Challenges with Big Data - Charu Shankar, SAS Canada (November 2012)
- Analytics Session: BC Hydro GO PAPERLESS: Direct Mail Campaign Analysis & Predictive Model - Ryan Knowles, BC Hydro (November 2012)
- Analytics Session: Managing Statistical Models - Nate Derby, Stakana Consulting (November 2012)
- VanSUG Update - Matt Malczewski, SAS Canada (May 2012)
- Survival Analysis Using SAS - Rajeev Kumar, Fisheries Centre, UBC (May 2012)
- Customizing Survival Curves - Jeremy Hamm, BC Cancer Agency (May 2012)
- Hash Tables - Dieter Ayers, Provincial Health Services Authority (May 2012)
- Analytics Session: An Example of Business Analytics in Healthcare - Colleen McGahan, BC Cancer Agency (May 2012)
- Analytics Session: Payroll Audit Selection Model Redesign - Sharen Dhami & Ernest Urbanovich, WorkSafe BC (May 2012)
- SAS 9.3 & SAS Support Options - Wally Thiessen, SAS Canada (November 2011)
- An Introduction to the Analysis of Rare Events - Nate Derby, Stakana Analytics (November 2011)
- Reporting in Base SAS: Tips & Tricks - Fareeza Khurshed, BC Cancer Agency (November 2011)
- Using SAS to Quantify the Rumblings of the Earth Near Vancouver Island & Honshu, Japan - Jim Metcalf (November 2011)
- Analytics Session: BC Hydro Customer Classification Model Using SAS 9.2 - Scott Albrechtsen, BC Hydro (November 2011)
- Analytics Session: Extracting Useful Data from Free-Form Text Files Using SAS 9.1 - Michael Wong, TELUS (November 2011)
- Analytics Session: SAS Analytics in Action: Customer Case Studies - Jim Metcalf, SAS Institute (November 2011)
- What's New at VanSUG - Kerry Blanchard, SAS Canada (May 2011)
- New (Useful & Cool) Features of Enterprise Guide 4.3 - James Waite, SAS Canada (May 2011)
- Creating a Table of Contents for MS Word using AutoFormat and Cascading Style Sheets - Fareeza Khurshed, BC Cancer Agency (May 2011)
- Why Dummy Variables Makes You SMART, and How to Do it SEXY - Brian Sun, Rick Hanson Institute (May 2011)
- Convert Character String Using SAS Functions - Minghui Yang, Boeing (May 2011)
- SAS Tips & Tricks - Rob Wilson, SAS Canada (May 2011)
- Anayltics Session: Analytic Enterprise: Identifying Barriers & Overcoming Challenges - James Waite, SAS Canada (May 2011)
- Analytics Session: Challenges & Successes of a SAS Business Intelligence Implementation - Chuck Mohamed, CM Solutions Inc. (May 2011)
- What's New at SAS & Social Media: What's in it for me?! - Matt Malczewski, SAS Canada (Nov 2010)
- PROC Logistic ROCs! Let's See How… - Colleen McGahan, BC Cancer Agency (Nov 2010)
- SAS/Graph, EG Hatching Into Code - Cheryl Sivertson, University of Victoria & Mike Atkinson, Acko Systems Consulting (Nov 2010)
- PROC SQL: Why and How - Nate Derby, Stakana Analytics (Nov 2010)
- SPECIAL ADDENDUM: The Future of Business Analytics: What Corporate Canada Is Looking For? - David Dobson, Dobson Analytics Inc. (Nov 2010)
- What's New at SAS – Jamie Farnell, SAS Canada (May, 2010)
- Base SAS Tips & Tricks - Rob Wilson, SAS Canada (May, 2010)
- From Manual to Automatic: Changing Your Program's Transmission - Art Carpenter, California Occidental Consultants (May, 2010)
- PROC MEANS/SUMMARY - Beyond the Basics - Art Carpenter, California Occidental Consultants (May, 2010)
- Survival Analysis with PROC PHREG Using MI and MIANALYSE to Accommodate Missing Data - Art Carpenter, California Occidental Consultants (May, 2010)
- An Update from SAS – Matt Malczewski, SAS Canada
- What's New in SAS Statistics 9.2 – Sylvain Tremblay, SAS Canada
- Using SAS/GRAPH to Create an Ecosystem Food Web Constellation Diagram – Rajeev Kumar, University of British Columbia
- Base SAS Tips – Rob Wilson, SAS Canada
- SAS Tips & Tricks – Sylvain Tremblay, SAS Canada
- Are Your SAS Programs Running You? – Marje Fecht, Prowerk Consulting (Spring 2009)
- Building Multiple Linear Regression Models - Food for Thought - Colleen McGahan, BC Cancer (Spring 2009)
- Demystifying the SAS Macro Facility - By Example - Marje Fecht, Prowerk Consulting (Spring 2009)
- PROC REG … and Its Discontents - Nathaniel Derby, Statis Pro Data Analytics (Fall 2008)
- A few useful SAS tips - Ryan Woods, Biostatistician, BC Cancer Agency (Fall 2008)
- Data Cleaning Process – Common Practices - Peter Hruby, Sr. Manager, Risk Management, HSBC (Fall 2008)
- Undocumented and Hard-To-Find Proc SQL Features, Kirk Lafler, Software Intelligence Corporation (Spring 2008)
- SAS Global Forum 2008, Colleen McGahan, BC Cancer Agency (Spring 2008)
- ODS Tips and Techniques, Kirk Lafler, Software Intelligence Corporation (Spring 2008)
- Geographic Approach to Analysis and Presentation - Scott Stafford-Veale, ESRI (Fall 2007)
- Tips and Tricks - Howard Cherniak (Fall 2007)
- Proc SURVEYSELECT - Sylvain Tremblay (Fall 2007)
- Reports for GPs using ODS - Mike Atkinson (Fall 2007)
- Help Us Help You: Growth and Direction of the User Group Community - User Group Executive (Spring 2007)
- SAS Stored Processes - James Waite, SAS Canada (Spring 2007)
- SAS Enterprise Guide: A Coder's View of a GUI World -Tim Trussell, SAS Canada (Spring 2007)
- Proc Report – Bells & Whistles - Craig McCulloch, Stelco (Spring 2007)
- SAS Global Forum Highlights - Lee Robson, User Group President, Terasen Gas (Spring 2007)
- Efficiencies with Large Data Sets – by Peter Eberhardt, Fernwood Consulting Group Inc (Fall 2006)
- A Choice in Prediction Rules in Logistic Regression Models – by Melvin Ott (Fall 2006)
- Data Step - SQL – by Peter Eberhardt, Fernwood Consulting Group Inc (Fall 2006)
- SAS Forecasting – by Tim Trussell, SAS Canada (Fall 2006)
- Introduction to Proc GLIMMIX – by Tim Trussell, SAS Canada (Spring 2005)
- SAS BI - OLAP & Add-in for Microsoft Office – by James Waite, SAS Canada (Spring 2005)
- Enterprise Guide for Basic Statistics (Demo) – by Tim Trussell, SAS Canada (Spring 2005)
- SAS Efficiency Considerations – by Rupinder Dhillon, SAS Canada (Fall 2005)
- Data Mining for Business Advantage – by John Amrhein, SAS Canada (Fall 2005)
- Introduction to Enterprise Guide – by Sue Walsh, SAS (Spring 2005)
- What's New in Base SAS – by Rupinder Dhillon (Fall, 2004)
- ETL Studio, Dynamic Reporting, and the Power of SAS via Microsoft Excel – by David Ghan (Fall, 2004)
- What's new in SAS/STAT – by Lorne Rothman (Fall, 2004)