Maintain and track metadata across all education data systems, applications, reports and analyses
" In today's environment, where data elements are numerous, complex, and ever-changing, managing a data system without a robust metadata system would not be practical or advisable. In fact, many education agency staff consider a central, authoritative metadata repository a critical component of effective management and use of an agency's data."
— Traveling Through Time: The Forum Guide to Longitudinal Data Systems , National Center for Education Statistics, February 2011
How SAS® Can Help
With SAS, you can share business metadata across the enterprise from a centralized repository, ensuring that metadata is consistent, accurate and not held in isolated, hard-to-maintain silos. We approach the problem by providing software and services to help you:
- Easily manage a centralized, integrated metadata repository. Consistent and accurate usage of metadata results in reduced errors in report creation – and consequently decision making – that lets everyone interpret the results in the same way. Fewer resources are spent supporting multiple silos and analyzing and interpreting data from disparate locations.
- Conduct impact analysis and know data lineage. Analyze the scope and impact of making changes to existing objects before the changes occur. Track data as it moves through systems, applications and reports, and know the implications to validate processes and build user confidence.
- Gain a single version of the truth. Realize a higher level of data integrity through consistent and accurate usage of metadata for reduced errors in report creation.
- Reuse metadata structures from existing databases. Retain and track technical, business and administrative metadata in a way that leverages and facilitates reuse of existing table definitions, business rules and more, lowering the total cost of ownership.
- Document your metadata. With SAS, the entire longitudinal data system creation process can be documented on a metadata level so that the technical documentation (metadata) stays with the data when employees leave, preserving your knowledge capital.
How SAS® Is Different
- Shared metadata across the entire SAS Enterprise Intelligence Suite for Education . SAS Data Management, SAS Reporting and SAS Analytics all share common metadata and a common repository. No one component is isolated; communication can occur wherever there is a need for metadata sharing and exchange.
- Lower cost of ownership. The exploitation of this centralized and shareable metadata further enhances the value achieved with each component while driving down the cost of implementation.
- Support and training . SAS maintains outstanding levels of support and customer satisfaction through self-help and assisted-help resources. SAS also provides real-time support when you are unable to address a problem successfully on your own. Many different training styles can be used to suit your learning needs: Classroom, Live Web Classroom, e-Learning, On-Site Training or Mentoring.
- Our commitment to education . Since we started more than 35 years ago as a research project at North Carolina State University, SAS has remained committed to partnering with education to deliver software and services for both academics and administration.
Related Products and Solutions
The SAS® Enterprise Intelligence Suite for Education
Provides a bundle of solutions for data management, reporting and analytics priced and packaged specifically for education.
SAS® Metadata Server
SAS Metadata Server provides an open, centralized repository for storing and managing enterprise metadata that is created and required by an organization to support its business analytics strategy. Unless organizations operate with a single source of integrated metadata (information about data sources, content, business rules and access authorizations), it is a struggle to deliver consistent information.
Ready to learn more?
Call us at 1-800-727-0025 (US and Canada) or request more information.