SAS Government Leadership Summit explores big data, analytics
Health care, fraud, cybersecurity, social media analytics are hot topics
Harnessing analytics and big data to advance agency missions tops the agenda tomorrow at the 13th annual SAS Government Leadership Summit in Washington, DC. Experts from government, academia and industry will explore how to use analytics in health care, fraud prevention and national security to better identify trends and patterns buried in government data and identify opportunities to turn information into action. Speakers include Nate Silver, founder of FiveThirtyEight.com: Nate Silver's Political Calculus, and author of The New York Times best-seller, The Signal and the Noise; and Juan Zarate, Senior Advisor at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, Transnational Threat Project and former Deputy National Security Advisor for Combating Terrorism.
"The federal government is committed to using big data to solve problems, enhance mission delivery and generate results. But data is just one asset," said Karen Terrell, Vice President of SAS Federal. "The key is knowing what data is important and what is not. By incorporating information management, analytics and data visualization, agencies can interpret vast amounts of structured and unstructured data, and make better decisions."
More than 200 federal government employees and systems integrators will discuss what is possible when big data, high-performance analytics and the latest technologies combine with great ideas. Sessions featuring representatives from across the federal government will cover:
- Health: Changing Dynamics Amid Public Scrutiny.
- Security Intelligence: Cyber Security and Managing Risk.
- Text and Social Media Analytics.
- Big Data Analytics: Driving Greater Efficiency Across Government.
Attendees will see analytics in action at the Technology Showcase, including:
- Social media analytics: Tap information in social media, reports, comments, email, abstracts and survey data to identify emerging trends and potential threats.
- Risk analytics: Learn how advanced analytics differ from, and complement, high-performance computing to prioritize risk.
- Health analytics: Improve health outcomes and reduce costs with SAS® for Health Analytics. Specific demos include applying predictive analytics to identify individuals at high risk of returning to the hospital following discharge, as well as how SAS Visual Analytics improves episode-based analysis.
- Data visualization: Detect violation patterns for accidents and inspections by using SAS Visual Analytics.
- Visualizing insurance risk: Uncover potential areas of risk within the government's insurance portfolio with SAS Visual Analytics.
- Mobile data visualization: Drive a hands-on demonstration that shows how to explore data quickly and easily with SAS Visual Analytics on the iPad®.
Follow the event on Twitter with @sasanalytics and #SASgov.
For more than three decades, SAS has provided innovative solutions targeting the unique analytic needs of the federal government. All 15 US federal departments and 80 national governments worldwide use SAS software's analytic and predictive capabilities for critical initiatives such as performance management, budgeting, logistics, cyberdefense, combating fraud and improper payments, and threat assessment.
SAS is the leader in business analytics software and services, and the largest independent vendor in the business intelligence market. Through innovative solutions, SAS helps customers at more than 75,000 sites improve performance and deliver value by making better decisions faster. Since 1976 SAS has been giving customers around the world THE POWER TO KNOW®.