SAS® EVAAS® for
Assess and predict student performance with precision and reliability
As the most comprehensive reporting package of value-added metrics available in the educational market, SAS EVAAS for K-12 provides valuable diagnostic information about past practices and reports on students’ predicted success probabilities at numerous academic milestones.
Giving Every Student the Chance to Succeed
By identifying which students are at risk, educators can be proactive, making sound instructional choices and using their resources more strategically to ensure that every student has the chance to succeed.
SAS EVAAS for K-12 builds on the Tennessee Value-Added Assessment System (TVAAS) methodology developed by Dr. William L. Sanders and his colleagues at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville. Value-added assessment eliminates the possibility of a distorted view of effective schooling by following the progress of individual students. Additionally, SAS EVAAS for K-12 offers a rich environment for educational research.
Effectively implemented, SAS EVAAS for K-12 allows educators to recognize progress and growth over time, and provides a clear path to achieve the US goal to lead the world in college completion by the year 2020.
SAS EVAAS for K-12 allows us to shrink the gap between education rhetoric and education reform; it allows us to utilize the vast amounts of educational data available to make our schooling as effective as possible, ensuring every student receives the best education possible.
James B. Hunt, Jr.
Former North Carolina Governor
Measure student progress objectively and accurately to improve instruction.
- Understand the incoming academic preparedness of students before they enter your classroom and the academic growth patterns within your classroom.
- Monitor student progress, from low achieving to high achieving, ensuring growth opportunities for all students.
- Modify curriculum, student support and instructional strategies to address the needs of all students.
- Align individual professional development efforts in the areas of greatest need.
Strategically plan equitable learning opportunities.
- Gain a consolidated view of student progress and teacher effectiveness, as well as the impact of instruction and performance.
- Bring clarity to strategic planning and function as a catalyst for conversations that must take place to ensure that all students reach their potential.
- Understand and leverage the strengths of effective teachers.
- Use the valuable resource of effective teaching to benefit as many students as possible.
Employ a system for evaluation and support of and for teachers and principals.
- Identify highly effective teachers and principals based on student growth and progress.
- Help teachers and principals improve student learning and provide an exceptional education to every child, thereby providing an equitable learning opportunity to all students.
- Empower district leaders with reliable analyses and evidence to support decision making and school improvement planning.
- Inform targeted and meaningful professional development.
Enable more rigorous longitudinal analysis of student test results.
- Determine whether all students have access to increased choices and opportunities.
- Apply a systematic evaluation of policy and programs to ensure that you spend your education dollars wisely.
- Reduce the need for developmental and remedial coursework in colleges and universities.
- Free up colleges and universities to make larger investments in the rigorous coursework that higher education should and must provide, instead of providing remedial coursework to entering students.
How SAS® Is Different
The SAS EVAAS team has almost 20 years of experience delivering value-added modeling in a production environment. SAS’ multivariate, longitudinal modeling is the most robust and reliable available on the market. It is much more than teacher or classroom level analyses; it assesses the effectiveness of districts, schools and teachers, as well as provides individual student projections to future performance. SAS EVAAS for K-12 provides precise, reliable and unbiased results that other simplistic models found in the market today cannot provide.
SAS EVAAS for K-12 reporting provides educators with powerful policy, performance and accountability tools, and:
- Does not require adjustment of estimates for socioeconomic factors.
- Includes all students in the analyses, even those with a sporadic testing history, in order to provide the most reliable estimate of achievement available for a district or school.
- Uses up to five years of data for an individual student to minimize the influence of measurement error. Analyzing all subjects simultaneously increases the precision of estimates.
- Allows educators to benefit from all tests, even when tests are on differing scales, providing greater flexibility.
- Furnishes the statistical rigor necessary to provide precise and reliable information on the effective influence of student progress and growth by addressing these challenges:
- Accommodating fractured student records (missing data) without introducing major biases by either eliminating the data for students with missing scores or by using overly simplistic imputation procedures.
- Exploiting all of the longitudinal data for each student when not all of the historical data is on the same scale.
- Providing educational policy makers flexibility in the use of historical data when testing regimes have changed over time.