SAS® EVAAS® for K-12
Assess and predict student performance with precision and reliability
Get valuable diagnostic information about past practices. Predict success probabilities for students at numerous academic milestones. SAS EVAAS for K-12 is the most comprehensive reporting package of value-added metrics available in the educational market.
Give every student the chance to succeed.
By identifying at-risk students, educators can be proactive, making sound instructional choices and using resources more strategically to ensure that every student has the chance to succeed.
SAS EVAAS for K-12 builds on the Tennessee Value-Added Assessment System (TVAAS) methodology developed by Dr. William L. Sanders and his colleagues at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville. Value-added assessment eliminates the possibility of a distorted view of effective schooling by following the progress of individual students. Additionally, SAS EVAAS for K-12 offers a rich environment for educational research.
SAS EVAAS for K-12 enables educators to recognize progress and growth over time. And it provides a clear path to achieving the US goal of leading the world in college completion by the year 2020.
SAS EVAAS for K-12 allows us to shrink the gap between education rhetoric and education reform; it allows us to utilize the vast amounts of educational data available to make our schooling as effective as possible, ensuring every student receives the best education possible.
James B. Hunt, Jr.
Former North Carolina Governor
Special Web Series
Part of Something Bigger
When teachers give students every chance to succeed, they become part of something bigger. They see the potential in each and every student – and those students begin to see that potential in themselves.
The most effective educators use data-driven reporting to continually improve their teaching methods, prevent at-risk students from slipping through the cracks, and provide a nurturing environment for academic growth.
Measure student progress objectively and accurately to improve instruction.
- Understand the incoming academic preparedness of students before they enter your classroom and the academic growth patterns within your classroom.
- Monitor student progress, from low achieving to high achieving, ensuring growth opportunities for all students.
- Modify curriculum, student support and instructional strategies to address the needs of all students.
- Align individual professional development efforts in the areas of greatest need.
Strategically plan equitable learning opportunities.
- Gain a consolidated view of student progress and teacher effectiveness, and gauge the impact of instruction and performance.
- Bring clarity to strategic planning, and function as a catalyst for conversations that must take place to ensure that all students reach their potential.
- Understand and tap into the strengths of effective teachers.
- Use the valuable resource of effective teaching to benefit as many students as possible.
Adopt a system for evaluating and supporting teachers and principals.
- Identify highly effective teachers and principals based on student growth and progress.
- Help teachers and principals improve student learning and provide an exceptional education to every child, thereby providing an equitable learning opportunity to all students.
- Empower district leaders with reliable analyses and evidence to support decision making and school improvement planning.
- Inform targeted and meaningful professional development.
Perform more rigorous longitudinal analysis of student test results.
- Determine whether all students have access to sufficient choices and opportunities.
- Make sure education dollars are spent wisely by systematically evaluating policies and programs.
- Reduce the need for developmental and remedial coursework in colleges and universities.
- Free colleges and universities to invest more in the rigorous coursework higher education should provide, instead of providing entering students with remedial coursework.
How SAS® Is Different
The SAS EVAAS team has more than 20 years of experience delivering value-added modeling in a production environment. There isn't a more robust or reliable multivariate, longitudinal modeling solution available anywhere. SAS EVAAS for K-12 delivers much more than teacher or classroom-level analyses; it thoroughly assesses district, school and teacher effectiveness, while projecting the future performance of individual students. You get precise, reliable and unbiased results that go far beyond what other simplistic models found in the market today can provide.
In addition to providing educators with powerful policy, performance and accountability tools, SAS EVAAS for K-12:
- Does not require estimate adjustments for socioeconomic factors.
- Provides the most reliable estimate of a district or school's achievement by including all students in the analyses – even those with a sporadic testing history.
- Minimizes the influence of measurement error by using up to five years of data for an individual student. Analyzing all subjects simultaneously results in more precise estimates.
- Provides greater flexibility by allowing educators to benefit from all tests, even when they are on different scales.
- Furnishes the statistical rigor necessary to provide reliable information on the effective influence of student progress and growth by:
- Accommodating fractured student records (missing data) without introducing major biases by either eliminating data for students with missing scores or using overly simplistic imputation procedures.
- Exploiting all longitudinal data for each student when historical data isn't all on the same scale.
- Giving educational policymakers the flexibility to use historical data when testing regimes change over time.